Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zlob. Downloader trojan

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 xentrix

xentrix

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:00 AM

Hi folks, a good friend of mine asked me to get rid of some viruses/trojans of his wife's laptop, he did mention that she may have got it from a friend on MSN msgr but I don't know where it came from. Anyway I started work on the laptop last Saturday 25 Oct I managed to eliminate some remnants of virsues using programs such as Super Spyware, Spybot, Remove IT Pro and so on.

But what remained behind kept bugging me, I kept on checking the msconfig file for the start up on XP, 2 files kept rearing their ugly heads algg.exe and bolivar22.exe both of which pertained to the main trojan/virus. I searched everywhere to rid these files for good but it took me a week to find this site and to get rid of algg.exe and bolivar22.exe. I also tried registry cleaners which I thought it worked but when I rebooted they both showed up again, untill I used the SDFix program and tutorial. This got rid of both buried files in the system32 folder of XP thereby helping me to eliminate the 2 files showing up in the start up section of msconfig.

Now the laptop is clean with AVG and a host of other spyware cleaners.

Moral of this srory is neither my friend nor his wife had any AV's whatsoever on their machines. My friend has Vista home and his wife has Win XP home.

I hope I put this topic in the right place ;)

Tutorial on SDFix .... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/

Edited by xentrix, 03 November 2008 - 04:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users