Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ntfs vs fat32

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sabrin

sabrin

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:57 AM

Hi, my old HD was partitioned with fat32 and my new HD was partitioned NTFS. Ive been told that fat32 is better and that ntfs "assumes" certian things. Maybe I dont know what am talking about but would like to know,
1. is there a difference
2. what is the difference
3. how can I switch from one to the other if possible.
thnks
sabrin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:33 AM

There are a number of differences between FAT32 and NTFS. If you are installing a Windows operating system with the CD you can only format a hdd with a maximum size of 32GB. The maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB (minus one null byte), that's about the size of a short movie. FAT32 doesn't have file security.

The list goes on, you can read this article for all of the differences, or at least most of them. If you want more information simply google FAT32 vs NTFS.

As far as switching, you can switch FAT32 to NTFS, but you can't switch from NTFS to FAT32.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sabrin

sabrin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:16 AM

thanks, that answered it for me
sabrin

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:20 AM

You are more than welcome. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users