Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, cant access file with trojan inside

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sabrin

sabrin

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:54 AM

Hello .
I cant access my system volume information file on my hard drive. Spyware doctor has located a trojan there and blocked it on several occasions but I cant access the file to delete it. It says that access is denied. What do I do.
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:42 AM

If you can boot into Safe Mode try deleting the file there. Safe Mode has a limited amount of applications running which makes it ideal for purposes like this.

I've asked that a Moderator move this topic to the Am I Infected forum where there are those that are more knowledgeable about these problems.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sabrin

sabrin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:40 AM

the problem is I cant open the system volume information file. Thats what i want to do.
Dont know why I cant do that.
thanks
sabrin

#4 Maxwell Smarty

Maxwell Smarty

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:15 AM

I believe I had the same problem a few month's ago, and it turned out to be a conflict between my volumn control program and Spyware Doctor. If you look closely, you will see that the file is to large, hence the message that it cannot be opened.
Spyware Doctor is just a program that continually monitors your computer for spyware as you are using it. I also have a free program that also eliminates spyware as well. This program is called Ad-Aware. You will have to Google it to find where you can get it.
The difference between these programs is the Ad-Aware has to be run manually at a time that the user selects. It also will not find any problems with your audio control program, as it does not have any conflicts, but it will eliminate any spyware after you check what you want it to remove.
Hope this helps.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:01 AM

Moving to Am I Infected?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Ray Parrish

Ray Parrish

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:53 PM

the problem is I cant open the system volume information file. Thats what i want to do.
Dont know why I cant do that.
thanks
sabrin

The reason you can't open that file is that it belongs to System Restore which won't let you.

To get rid of the infection which is located in one of your restore points you need to turn off System Restore, reboot, then turn System Restore again. When you do this System Restore will get rid of all of the old restore points.

Here are the instructions for doing that.

http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/~lmcgrew/XPOffDocument.htm

Later, Ray Parrish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users