Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What makes mac so popular? Why get it over Windows?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

So I have a question, why is mac worth buying in your opinion?
What can it do that Windows Cannot?
What can windows do that it can?
A lot of younger people like me seem to like them but I don't know why THEY do as I don't like them.

Nothing like having to HUNT for software that replaces software for windows or get a Windows simulator for mac. Why not just use windows and have a huge library of software? Whats the deal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:24 AM

PCs running Windows are for people that like to get "under the hood". Though I have never used it, I imagine that the Mac OS is even more restrictive than Vista.

One of the Mac commercials said something to the effect that a Mac comes with "everything you will ever need", software-wise. Holy Nazism, Batman!!

And when have you ever heard of someone building a Mac from scratch?

If there is a built-up, mud-covered 4 x 4 in the driveway, there's a PC in the house. A Prius? Mac.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:03 PM

PCs running Windows are for people that like to get "under the hood".

If there is a built-up, mud-covered 4 x 4 in the driveway, there's a PC in the house. A Prius? Mac.

Not quite, Pc's running Linux are for those who like to get under the hood, Pc's running Windows are for those who want someone else to get under the hood, and Mac's are for those who want to forget there is a hood. (j/k)

So in the driveway you will find the Linux fellow with the jack'd muddy 4x4 or custom classic muscle car, in the window users drive will be a rental because their car is at the dealership being repaired, and the Mac user will have a bicycle (because he spent all his money on a Mac)

Macs are great for Video and Photo editing (of course so are PC's now)

BTW in my drive are 4 muddy 4x4's and 2 muscle cars, my sisters Jeep is most likely at the dealership being fixed, and my cousin is wishing I would trade him a truck for his Mac (lol)

Posted Image

#4 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:38 AM

Macs are great for Video and Photo editing

I'm not entirely convinced of that.

I use both Mac & PC, and . . . I'm a bit disappointed with the Mac.

Windose come with PAINT, not the best, but a decent program. Mac . . . nothing. I DL PAINTPRUSH for free and it really stinks.
( Currently learning the Gimp)

I like iPhoto, but I also like PICASSA on windows.

MPEG2 is the industry standard for DVD's, so if you want to make your own movies with Windows, no problem. On a Mac you have to pay $20.00 for the codec that will allow you to edit MPEG2. iMovie & iDVD won't open an MPEG2 file. More money.

With a Mac, I like the fact that I don't have to worry as much about getting malware. But I can get hacked.

There are more free programs for Windows.

On the Mac there's Still nothing that will rip cd's as precisely as EAC. (for trading legal live shows) so I still need Windows.

The list goes on.

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:29 PM

I also have a PC and a Mac and am finding that over time, I am using the Mac more than the PC.

One of great features about the Mac is it as virtually maintenance free...no defragging or any type of scans.
There are a lot of utilities packed into that laptop, everything loads faster than the PC. I take it on every road trip.

Yes, freeware is not quite as plentyful, but it is available and more is being tested/made available every day.

my sisters Jeep is most likely at the dealership being fixed

Hey...!

From a Jeep owners point of view, if you don't want to build one, but still get muddy now and then or crawl up a tree or two, a Mac will do the trick :thumbsup:

On a side note: I really miss Windoze version of Keynote on my Mac.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 roc1911

roc1911

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:58 AM

I got a Mac and PC, and in my driveway, is Saleen Mustang, Ford Bronco (with 33's on her), and my 94 SHO, along with VTX1800 & Valkrie.
I like them both, and they BOTH serve a purpose! YES?
Posted Image
Posted Image
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
TO KNOW WHAT IS RIGHT AND NOT TO DO IT,
IS TO BE WITHOUT COURAGE........CONFUCIUS

#7 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

PCs running Windows are for people that like to get "under the hood".

...Pc's running Windows are for those who want someone else to get under the hood...

Nobody gets under my hood but me.

I also like to make hardware modifications. The only thing in my last computer that was original equipment was the MB - and that was going to be changed out if I had not bought this machine. Which came with the worst excuse for an os that has ever been foisted on an unsuspecting world. #@{}*$! pos Vista. :thumbsup:

#8 JShust

JShust

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:56 PM

I was always under the impression that macs cant get a virus. im not sure jsut how accurate that is, but thats all i know about the differences.

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:55 AM

Microsoft did fail with Vista.

Yeah you can't upgrade a Mac can you?

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 07 November 2008 - 12:56 AM.

#10 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

Microsoft did fail with Vista.

Yeah you can't upgrade a Mac can you?

Forgive me if I'm off point, I can't open that Youtube video with my slow dialup. (i don't want to wait an hour)
but you can upgrade OSX Tiger to Leopard. I'm sure there will be more upgrades for leopard in the future.

I would say, at this time, that I like, (and dislike) both equally.

#11 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:50 PM

Mac is a photoshop/MSword machine. Really a pretty multimedia machine that is unix based so it is really simplified linux built into a silly looking screen and priced really high
CompTIA A+ certified

#12 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

Mac is a photoshop/MSword machine. Really a pretty multimedia machine that is unix based so it is really simplified linux built into a silly looking screen and priced really high

My PC running Win XP came bundled with PS Elements. My Mac OSX . . . well . . . I would have to buy PS separate.
Just saying.

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:45 PM

my sisters Jeep is most likely at the dealership being fixed

Hey...!

From a Jeep owners point of view, if you don't want to build one, but still get muddy now and then or crawl up a tree or two, a Mac will do the trick :thumbsup:

In her defense the deer hit her.

Posted Image

#14 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:25 PM

My PC running Win XP came bundled with PS Elements. My Mac OSX . . . well . . . I would have to buy PS separate.
Just saying.

Eww PS elements get the gimp:)
CompTIA A+ certified

#15 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:59 PM

Not quite, Pc's running Linux are for those who like to get under the hood, Pc's running Windows are for those who want someone else to get under the hood, and Mac's are for those who want to forget there is a hood. (j/k)

Good point and it makes the perfect sense. However, I use Linux and I love it. I love using alternative software. I guess I just like using the most popular least used software. :thumbsup: I'm starting to use Opera now that Firefox is becoming too popular. I guess it's just the way I am.

As far as why mac itself is so popular at the particular age, is that kids around that age just want to get stuff done. They don't want to deal with problems, so they get a mac. They require less maintenance than Windows and Mac can be used by pretty much anyone who knows how to use a keyboard and a mouse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users