Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 Partitions?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jtphenom

jtphenom

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:59 AM

I don't understand why I have 3 primary partitions on my drive when I've never done anything with my partitions since I've bought the computer. My C: is NTFS, and then I have 2 unlabeled partitions, one is a FAT 55MB, and the other a FAT32 5 GB partition. I tried to attach a screenshot in a docx file but it wouldn't let me.

Anyway, can anyone help me with this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

Some OEM computers have one partition for the operating system and a second for recovery. Could you please tell us what the make and model is of your computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:31 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Have you checked your owner's manual for a possible explanation?

I would not consider the 55MB "partition" to be more than a partner for the 5GB but I don't really know. A 55MB partition cannot do too much on its own.

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:08 PM

System manufacturers will sometimes put a separate data partition on the hard drive - or it can be a recovery partition. A look at the label for the partition and it's contents will usually reveal some telling characteristic.

The smaller partition is rapidly becoming the norm on store bought PC's. Most often it's the boot partition and it has files to refer the boot sequence to the OS (Operating System) partition during the boot. With this method, the manufacturer can allow you to boot to other tools even if your OS is corrupt. It also may be (purely my own speculation) that it's preparing for the "instant on" PC features that I've read about recently - where you can boot quickly to just use your email or surf the web.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:07 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Have you checked your owner's manual for a possible explanation?

I would not consider the 55MB "partition" to be more than a partner for the 5GB but I don't really know. A 55MB partition cannot do too much on its own.

Louis

OK well sorry I took so long to get back to this, but for some reason I'm not getting email notifications that someone responded to my email.

I have a Dell Dimension E510.

I have not looked in my manual for an explanation for this.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

Appears that you have a utility partition (55MB) and a restore partition.

FWIW...that manual probably ought to be read by you, there seems to be information that a user ought to know...included.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...1.htm#wp1114195

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users