Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Before I Buy...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:44 AM

My not-so-trustworthy Toshiba Satellite ended its good life of 6 years about a week ago; so, I am planning to configure my own desktop @ cyberpowerpc.com.
These are the specs I've come up with on my $1300 budget. I'm aware that there is no monitor included; but i just wanted to know if any hardware compatability problems are present that I've overlooked or if anyone has any suggestions to make.

CASE: Raidmax Sagitta II Mid-Tower 420W Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window (Black Color)
PSU: Upgraded to 635W
CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-bit
MOTHERBOARD: Biostar TP45 HP Intel P45 CrossFire Chipset LGA775 FSB1600 DDR2/1066 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, & 7.1Audio
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)4GB (4x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E 16X 1GB Video Card (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
VIDEO CARD 2: NONE
VIDEO CARD 3: NONE
LCD Monitor: NONE
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Data Hard Drive: NONE
Optical Drive: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: NONE
SOUND: 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD
price: $1307

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:25 PM

Looks good. You should be aware that the 32-bit operating system will only recognize up to 3.5GB of the 4GB of RAM. You will need to go to a 64-bit operating system to be able to utilize the whole 4GB of RAM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:08 AM

Looks good, I personally have not had a good run with Biostar boards, but its up to you, I like Gigabyte. They haven't let me down yet. :thumbsup:
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:06 PM

Looks okay, I would get a more powerful GPU if you're a gamer wanting high performance. A HD 4870 or 9800 GTX would work well. As dc3 said, you will need a 64-bit OS to use all 4 GB of RAM.

3939.png

#5 merzin

merzin

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:40 AM

Looks good, I personally have not had a good run with Biostar boards, but its up to you, I like Gigabyte. They haven't let me down yet. :thumbsup:

I agree here. I have had bad experiences with BIOStars boards. I only use gigabyte mobo's now or the occasional ASUS(I have the asus for my big rig and all others have gigabytes!)

Edited by merzin, 13 November 2008 - 10:41 AM.

Amd Phenom 955 @ 3.8ghz
2 gigs OCZ 1333
4 Velociraptor's in Raid 0
2 750 gig HD's in Raid 1
Pc&p 1200 watt
Saphire Tech 4890

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:59 AM

I have a Biostar TForce 6100 that hasn't given me a bit of trouble, the build is over two years old now. Biostar is a good medium priced motherboard with good onboard audio and video for those wishing to build a budget machine for general use. All motherboard manufacturers will have the occasional failure, Gigabyte and ASUS included.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users