Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"My Computer" Taking a very long time to open

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hawg

Hawg

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:38 AM

Hello everybody,

The patient is a Dell Inspiron 9300 Laptop with 512MB Ram, 60GB HD 40% free, Windows Media Center Edition, SP3. When I open "my Computer" it takes almost two minutes to show drives and icons. I have run Combofix and an AVG full scan. It was slightly infected and now clean. Still does it. I've removed all non-essential software, turned off almost all autoruns, done a defrag and a drive C:\ "cleaning" I ran it through CCleaner and Advanced Windows Care. for the most part it's pretty well behaved and operational. Virtual memory is set to 1024/2048. What is that little flashlight working on so hard when I open My Computer?

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:03 PM

Open up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and click on the Processes tab
Click on the View menu item, then on Select columns.
Place a check mark next to I/O Reads and click OK to accept the changes.

Then stretch out the Task Manager window so you can see all the columns.
Double click on the column header (to sort by that column) and then open My Computer and see what processes spike the highest.
You can do this for the I/O Reads column, the Memory column, and the CPU column.

Also, do you have any mapped network drives that no longer exist? That is another reason for a long delay - the system is searching for network resources that no longer exist.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

Also, do you have any mapped network drives that no longer exist? That is another reason for a long delay - the system is searching for network resources that no longer exist.

"Hey, great idea" I thought as I read your response! See, I am having the same issue with one of my computers, it takes a long time for My Computer to open and populate. So, based on your advice I took a good hard look at what was going on on my computer, and I noticed that my A: drive (floppy) shows up even though it hasn't worked properly for a while. I went into Device Manager and Disabled it. Now My Computer opens and populates like normal. No, it was not a network resource, but it was a resource that was malfunctioning none the less. Thanks usasma!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Hawg

Hawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for the help guys, this is a laptop, no floppy, but we did check... No change. No network drives, simple home laptop. Still getting the "flashlight to nowhere". We 86'd all the devices in the bios from boot order except for hdd and cdrom. We've been stripping out all the sw we can dare to and still getting it. This is so fun!

#5 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:22 PM

Hello Hawg,

The following article is a bit old, but it may apply to your situation:

"Long delay before files appear in My Computer in Windows XP":

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;819017

0 user(s) are reading this topic