Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway says either the Mother Board of HD are shot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gatorade96

Gatorade96

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:58 AM

On my wifes computer but my main computer is having issues. It isn't starting up. I started the tech chat at Gateway which has always been great in the past. They said if it isn't starting up then I need to replace either my Mother Board or my Hard Drive. Anyone know how I can tell for sure which I need to replace? HD would be pretty easy to do but Mother Board I may need some help on. Anyone have any thoughts on where I would get a Mother Board for a 4 year old Gateway?

So talk to me about how to diagnose this issue. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gatorade96

Gatorade96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:20 AM

Actually it may have been simplier than I thought. I remember them saying I could try and reseat the memory and see if that cleared it up. I just tried that and it fired up. So I may not have to go to the extreme like I thought! Bleeping Computer does it again! Every time I come here my issues get solved! One way or another!

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:23 AM

What do you mean by not starting up? Does the computer power up at all? If so, can you get into the bios, or do you not get anything?

HERE is a post that explains how to test your power supply, if you have not already ruled it out. I would check it before buying a new board or CPU.. :flowers:

Never mind, you figured it out while I was replying..... :thumbsup:

Edited by Wildabeast, 02 November 2008 - 09:24 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Gatorade96

Gatorade96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:33 AM

Hey Beast, it was a little strange. The power supply worked. The board was getting power as well because the USB mouse that I plugged into it was getting power when I would turn it on. The fans were working and everything. It was just not sending a signal to the monitor or making the usual noises like when the HD is running. The thing that was confusing me was that I had a memory module slip in the past and the computer gave three beeps when trying to start up. Gateway said to reseat the memory and that cleared it up in the past. This time there weren't any beeps. Just blank blackness. So I posted and tried that old fix and it worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users