Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need an alternative to Windows SteadyState!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Makaiton

Makaiton

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:59 PM

I'm trying to fix up a school load of computers. I (unfortunately) am the most knowledgeable on computers, but I don't really know much about networking.

The school would like to find a way to restrict downloading of programs and whatever else and to also restrict access to the network printers.

On the side, if I can also find a way to prohibit users from changing running programs (like an antivirus) or from installing/uninstalling, it would be absolutely perfect. I basically need to find a way to make it impossible for public users to change anything on the computer without using SteadyState. As much as I'd love to use it, all the drives are FAT32, and SteadyState needs them in NFTS.
All good things should be free. Unfortunately, the opposite statement is what holds true most often.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Makaiton

Makaiton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:11 AM

Solution found. Feel free to close/delete/whatever this topic.
All good things should be free. Unfortunately, the opposite statement is what holds true most often.

#3 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:19 AM

Hi,

Apologies for not seeing your thread sooner, glad to see you now have it resolved.

Can you let us know what you used so that other members searching for help will be able to use the information.

Thanks.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#4 Makaiton

Makaiton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:03 AM

Certainly, although I am afraid that the solution did not actually fall into the "network" category.

With the said problem above, I was informed that you could in fact change the file system from FAT32 to NFTS in the following manner:
(Credit goes to Usasma for the quote and solution)

Using the convert command from the Command Prompt can convert the drives to NTFS.

First backup any data that's needed (in case convert.exe fails).
Then open up the Command Prompt by going to Start...Run...and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter>
Then the syntax for the command on the boot drive is "convert.exe c: /fs:ntfs" (without the quotes)
Then reboot the system and let the conversion begin.
More in this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456984.aspx
and this one: http://www.ntfs.com/quest3.htm

Although I am still trying to fine tune the restrictions through SteadyState so that everything necessary still functions normally (I've never used this sort of thing before), it is incredibly useful in controlling what less knowledgeable users' access to things you don't particularly want them seeing or changing.

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for the info.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#6 Williamsmith

Williamsmith

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

I know this thread is a bit old but I thought I would give give anyone else looking for options for what our company decided to do for a client.

We just Deployed 280 License of Drive Vaccine for a client at 3 locations that offers their customers public access for a Non profit organization. After testing Drive Vaccine, Deep Freeze and Steady State We recommended our client use Drive Vaccine on their PC's. Here are few of the things we chose Drive Vaccine over the others.

- Very Reasonably Priced and Only a One time cost

- Very stable compared to clean slate

- Drive Vaccine can simply by one click temporarily disable itself so that you can update your windows any add or remove programs and then enable drive vaccine and update the baseline done in seconds (this was a big sell for our client), we found that this was a big problem with Deep freeze not being able to do this or do it as simple as this.

- You can restrict the use of USB Drives and CD roms

- Has folder Exemtions

-Another big sell for our client was that their own IT guys can reach the Drive vaccine company (horizon data sys) 24 hours via chat or telephone for support?

#7 memegan816

memegan816

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

Hey just simple solution from my side, try Faronics Deep Freeze. Its a reboot to restore software with number of advanced features. We are using it in our computer lab from more than 5 years. It works fine for us.

http://www.faronics.com/products/deep-freeze/enterprise/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users