Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Guard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 noonytunes

noonytunes

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:02 PM

Hi! I've never had Spyware Guard....I've had Spybot and Spyware Blaster....as per old timer's recommendation I tried to download it from Major Geek's. It got stuck at having 5 minutes and 28 seconds remaining and wouldn't complete. Do you think it could have something to do with my internet settings? Also, I went for the full download--there was one shorter....what's the dif?
Thanks for you kind attention.
Oh, I had my internet settings lined up with what is recommended on this site.
Thanks again.
noonytunes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:03 PM

Have you tried to download it from the home site, Javacoolsoftware?
SpywareGuard
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 noonytunes

noonytunes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:24 PM

Thank you, I'll try that.
noonytunes

#4 noonytunes

noonytunes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:25 AM

Yeah, that worked! Thank you....I think it was just a case of my browser timing out. Anyway, this doesn't have a scan, right?

Thanks so much!
noonytunes

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:29 AM

Your quite welcome, noonytunes.

No, you don't have to scan with SpywareGuard, it runs in the background like your AV, always working

SpywareGuard works sorta like your Antivirus, except for spyware.
If you download a program that contains spyware and try to run it, SpywareGuard will notify you that it contains spyware, and give you the option to delete the spyware files.

Example:
Say you download a free program, but you didn't know it comes bundled with Gator.
When you try to install the program, and it gets to Gator.exe, a box will pop up warning you that Gator is trying to install.
You can either OK it, or delete it.
Of course deleting it might "break" the program, but if it needs spyware to work properly, who needs it anyway. :thumbsup:

In case you haven't seen it yet, here's a tutorial on SpywareGuard:
Using SpywareGuard to protect your computer from Spyware & Hijackers

Edited by tg1911, 05 May 2005 - 10:34 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 noonytunes

noonytunes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for explaining it to me. Peace.
noonytunes

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:07 PM

No problem, noonytunes.
Glad to be of help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users