Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will not finish loading

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Twinmum

Twinmum

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

While playing a flash game, my daughter complained that the mouse had stopped responding. Nothing could be selected and not even ctl alt del worked. I had no option but to shut down using the power switch.
When I switched it back on, it loads normally till the windows welcome screen which seems darker than usual and nothing happens from here. There is no indication of anything loading. I've left it for ages and come back to find it still on that page.
I've tried to start in safe mode, but it comes up with the black screen and a few lines of text (something about devices) then hangs there.
I have also tried to start at the last known workable point, but that won't load either.

Any ideas what I can do to try and resolve this problem.

Norma

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

Can you get into safe mode by clicking on F8 during start up? If so, go to Start / Run and copy-paste in chkdsk volume:/f

There's some more information on chkdsk at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

From what you wrote it looks like you can't open in Safe Mode, do you have the installation disc for the operating system?

If you do, try booting from the disc and accessing the Recovery Console.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Edited by dc3, 01 November 2008 - 08:01 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Twinmum

Twinmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:07 PM

mmm, odd
I turned the computer off for a while (had to pick up the kids) when we got back one wanted to go on the good computer (which is the one with the problem) anyway, she tried but got the same result I had been having.
I came and checked this thread and tried getting into safe mode again and this time it worked. I ran chkdsk volume:/f and a box flashed on the screen and was gone again (is this what it was supposed to do? - I was expecting something that I might have been able to actually read) So I restarted the computer in normal mode and it is working again.

Norma

#5 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:31 PM

Hey Twinmum, It worked! :thumbsup:

What dc3 was asking you to do was ask your PC to scan for errors and repair itself if it found any.

Don't worry about the box flashing on and off again. That is normal as the program that runs is so quick by the time the window appears it's finished and shuts the window again.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

The flashing is NOT normal.

Looking at what you typed...it appears that you did not enter the command properly. It should look like this:

chkdsk volume /f (or r, as I prefer)

chkdsk C: /r

There must be a space between the chkdsk and the volume...and the volume and the /r or /f (as you prefer).

Louis

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

If it's at all possible to copy and paste, this is the best way to be sure that the command is correct. Be sure to delete any quotation marks if they are added.

Edited by dc3, 02 November 2008 - 11:48 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Twinmum

Twinmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:56 AM

Well the computer was working earlier. Today, it again froze while doing something and the only option was to turn it off. This time it has refused to start again in any mode.

I have tried to follow dc3's advice on booting from the disc and accessing the Recovery Console, but I get to a point that I'm not sure of.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

OK, I selected the boot from CD option, but I don't get a "Welcome to Setup" screen
I get the following:

[A] Express install of XPHOME SP2 (By Default)
[B] Specific install of XPHOME SP2 (SCSI/RAID)

Choose an option and press (Enter):

I'm not sure which (if any) I need to select - seems like it wants to install XP again?

Norma

Edited by Twinmum, 04 November 2008 - 04:57 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:51 AM

It seems that you do not have the correct XP disk to perform the repair that dc3 suggested.
If you proceed, there's a chance that you'll wipe out your hard drive and will reinstall a fresh copy of XP.

It all depends on how the disk was made. Could you provide us with some information about the make and model of the computer - and what it says on the face of the recovery CD?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Twinmum

Twinmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:22 PM

The computer is a Mitac (not sure of the model)
The disk has the following on it:

Synnex Technology International Corp.
Product Recovery CD
Support for these products provided by Synnex

Synnex NO.:WINXP/E/H/SP2-0411

#11 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:31 PM

Hi Twinmum,

Some manufacturers supply a recovery disk which hides the recovery console. In order to know which keys you need to hit in order to arrive at the recovery console, you may need to call your manufacturer and ask directly. There are some cd's which access it using the shift key, others using the F12 key. In one computer I've worked on, F11 will cause the computer to return to factory settings, so it's important to know which key or keys to hit in order to get to the recovery feature of your cd.

Zllio

#12 Twinmum

Twinmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:55 AM

Problem no more....well not that problem anyway(but that is for another thread!) We had thught it was a hard drive problem and a chat to the tech guy at the local computer store cemented our belief. This morning hubby bought and installed a new hard drive and now Windows loads normally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users