Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

single to dual core CPU

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:19 PM

If I have an intel D945GTP mobo, could I upgrade from a single core CPU to a dual core? If so, which dual core CPU would work with my MOBO?

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

It looks like you can only have Single Core Processors or Dual Core if the Pentium D's were still sold with that Motherboard, to be specific Pentium 4, Pentium D and Celeron D - Intel D945GTP Processor List

The Pentium Class Processors have stopped shipping, the Pentium D were Dual Core Processors bad luck they stopped shipping them back in August, but the Celeron D doesn't have Dual Cores even though they still ship.

Celeron D
Pentium 4
Pentium D

I don't recommend parts but you maybe looking at a new Motherboard unless you can locate a Processor on the Site List above, someone else may drop by sometime to help you a bit more on Parts choice.

Edited by woodyblade, 01 November 2008 - 06:50 PM.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:59 PM

Although your motherboard is LGA775, you may not be able to install a dual core processor. Your motherboard may not meet requirements necessary for a dual core CPU. You could always try and install one but you run the risk of frying the CPU or motherboard or even both.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users