Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Freezes...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerFixz

ComputerFixz

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

Can anyone explain to me why Ubuntu always freezes for me? Like sometimes a program is running all nice and smooth and then bam! it freezes for no apparent reason. This happens in pidgin as well as mozilla. This happens randomly and usually once or twice per day. Sometimes the sound also just cuts out and I have to reboot for everything to work...what is going on?
I most likely will be switching to Opensuse if this issue continues.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 djsi

djsi

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:12 PM

computer specs?unbuntu can be a resource hog.an installation on an older/low ram machine can cause this.

#3 Ray Parrish

Ray Parrish

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:06 PM

Hello,

I'm a new Ubuntu user but I had a similar problem with programs going into a long period of being grayed out and non-responsive. The problem as it turned out was that I had neglected to provide it with a swap partition when I installed it. I read the swap faq available at the following link and was able to create and use a swap file. After doing this the problem went away.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

I hope this helps. Later, Ray Parrish

#4 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

We need system specs please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users