Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connections

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:10 PM

I have a friend who just started having trouble with her internet connection. She tells me that she does not have any problem getting her e-mail but when she goes on line she will get disconnected in about one (1) minute every time she tries to go on line. The next paragraph is her message to me:

I've tried to go online several times and after about a minute my computer disconnects. I get three error pop-ups each time it disconnects.. One saying "Error in Winsock module. Connection structure is unknown. Possible Reason: Your firewall and / or antivirus application block the system files:
services.exe Make sure that services.exe can connect to the internet.
The other pop-up reads the same but instead of "services.exe" in both
places, they read "csrss.exe" and "smss.exe"

Since she can not stay connected she does not have access to the online tools needed to check for spyware, viruses and the other tools available. She has checked this condition with her Norton Antivirus program but it does not find anything. Does anyone have any idea as to what she can do so she will be able to stay on line so she can check out her computer with the available online tools. BTW she does not live close enough for me to personally help her out. Thanks for any information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:19 PM

The best thing for her to do is call support at her ISP and they will walk her through whatever she needs to do to maintain her connection.

#3 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:01 PM

Enthusiast! It could possibly be a problem with her ISP but I have my doubts. I personally think it is some kind of virus. However, since she cannot stay on line long enough to check the online tools, I guess she will never know. I will advise her to check with her ISP...Juno. Thank you for your suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users