Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG keeps finding generic Trojan. How can I get rid of it?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Thunderwing

Mr Thunderwing

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:44 AM

Hello all,

I'm after some help please. I'm using Windows XP and recently every time I turn my computer on, at some point AVG will flash the following message up:

Threat Detected!
While opening file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\twext.exe
Trojan horse Generic11.BHVJ

I've tried clicking on the 'heal' and 'move to vault' options, but inspite of this the message still comes up every time I turn my computer on. At the moment everything seems to be working ok, but I'm worried that it's going to have some longterm ill effect. I read a very good post HERE from a member who had a similar problem, with step by step instructions on how to fix it, and was hoping somebody could do the same for me.

Thanks in advance!

Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 70,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:53 AM

Hello and welcome to BC.

Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware, Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opers browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions,post log and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Mr Thunderwing

Mr Thunderwing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for the Super speedy reply. I've done everything you said, here's the log:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 11/01/2008 at 06:01 PM

Application Version : 4.21.1004

Core Rules Database Version : 3618
Trace Rules Database Version: 1603

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:39:56

Memory items scanned : 175
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 5068
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 40660
File threats detected : 0

Just as I was sitting here typing this, the AVG message popped up again, so unfortunately it doesn't seem to have helped.

#4 iisjman07

iisjman07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:28 PM

Have you run AVG in Safe Mode? It probably had trouble removing it before because the file was in use.... try again in safe mode

#5 Mr Thunderwing

Mr Thunderwing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the advice. In the meantime I've run a complete scan using Malwarebytes anti-malware software and I think (keeping my fingers crossed!) that it's sorted the problem. Here's the log file from that:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1351
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

01/11/2008 18:50:54
mbam-log-2008-11-01 (18-50-54).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 87823
Time elapsed: 29 minute(s), 4 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 6
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 3
Files Infected: 8

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll (Adware.Cinmus) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\acroiehelper.acroiehlprobj (Adware.Cinmus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{5f226421-415d-408d-9a09-0dcd94e25b48} (Adware.Cinmus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{06849e9f-c8d7-4d59-b87d-784b7d6be0b3} (Adware.Cinmus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{06849e9f-c8d7-4d59-b87d-784b7d6be0b3} (Adware.Cinmus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{06849e9f-c8d7-4d59-b87d-784b7d6be0b3} (Adware.Cinmus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\acroiehelper.acroiehlprobj.1 (Adware.Cinmus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Network\UID (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Hijack.UserInit) -> Bad: (C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\twext.exe,) Good: (userinit.exe) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysproc64 (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\twain_32 (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\sysproc64 (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll (Adware.Cinmus) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysproc64\sysproc32.sys (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysproc64\sysproc32.sys.cla (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysproc64\sysproc86.sys (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\twain_32\local.ds (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\twain_32\user.ds (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\sysproc64\sysproc32.sys (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\svchost.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

If I'm still having trouble I'll try running AVG in safe mode as suggested. Thanks again! :thumbsup:

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 70,887 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:04 PM

Please reboot the PC, UPdate,rescan and post another MBAM log.
Also run this BitDefender scan.

Please run a BitDefender Online Scan
  • Click I Agree to agree to the EULA.
  • Allow the ActiveX control to install when prompted.
  • Click Click here to scan to begin the scan.
  • Please refrain from using the computer until the scan is finished. This might take a while to run, but it is important that nothing else is running while you scan.
  • When the scan is finished, click on Click here to export the scan results.
  • Save the report to your desktop so you can post it in your next reply.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Mr Thunderwing

Mr Thunderwing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:20 PM

Here's the latest MBAM log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1361
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

03/11/2008 23:49:18
mbam-log-2008-11-03 (23-49-18).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 86880
Time elapsed: 30 minute(s), 36 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{7AC7BCC1-F0C1-4CB9-B240-F8971585601C}\RP291\A0048235.sys (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Bitdefender doesn't seem to want to work properly at the moment. I keep getting the following message after I attempt to start a scan:

"BitDefender failed to update the virus definitions.
Although it might be possible to check for viruses,the result will probably not be 100% accurate

Do you want to start scanning?"

I'll leave it overnight and have another go at getting it to work properly tomorrow. BTW I've been doing these scans in my computer's 'normal' mode. Should I do them in safe mode?

Edited by Mr Thunderwing, 03 November 2008 - 07:23 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 70,887 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:41 PM

MBAM is stronger in Normal the others are better in Safe. Ok if the Bitdefender won't run tomorrow forget it. I want you to run this SDFix scan.

Please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". <- This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.
-- If the computer has been infected with the VirusAlert! malware warning from the clock and the Start Menu icons or drives are not visible, open the SDFix folder, right-click on either the XP_VirusAlert_Repair.inf or W2K VirusAlert_Repair.inf (depending on your version of Windows) and select Install from the Context menu. Then reboot to apply the changes.

#9 Mr Thunderwing

Mr Thunderwing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:09 PM

Ok, BitDefender still didn't want to work properly, so I've followed your advice and the tutorial on SDFix and here's the resulting log:

SDFix: Version 1.239
Run by Administrator on 04/11/2008 at 16:53

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Running From: C:\SDFix

Checking Services :

Restoring Default Security Values
Restoring Default Hosts File

Rebooting

Checking Files :

Trojan Files Found:

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\twain_32\user.ds - Deleted
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\twain_32\user.ds - Deleted

Folder C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\twain_32 - Removed
Folder C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\twain_32 - Removed

Removing Temp Files

ADS Check :

Final Check :

catchme 0.3.1361.2 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2008-11-04 16:57:53
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

scanning hidden registry entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden processes: 0
hidden services: 0
hidden files: 0

Remaining Services :

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\WINDOWS\\Temp\\NavBrowser.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Temp\\NavBrowser.exe:*:Enabled:NAVBrowser"
"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe:*:Enabled:MSN Messenger 7.5"
"C:\\Westwood\\RA2\\game.exe"="C:\\Westwood\\RA2\\game.exe:*:Enabled:Main executable for Red Alert 2"
"C:\\Westwood\\RA2\\mph.exe"="C:\\Westwood\\RA2\\mph.exe:*:Enabled:mph"
"C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\IEXPLORE.EXE"="C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\IEXPLORE.EXE:*:Enabled:Internet Explorer"
"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Messenger"
"C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avginet.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avginet.exe:*:Enabled:avginet.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avgamsvr.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avgamsvr.exe:*:Enabled:avgamsvr.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avgcc.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avgcc.exe:*:Enabled:avgcc.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avgemc.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Grisoft\\AVG7\\avgemc.exe:*:Enabled:avgemc.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe:*:Enabled:Bonjour"
"C:\\Program Files\\uTorrent\\uTorrent.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\uTorrent\\uTorrent.exe:*:Enabled:ęTorrent"
"C:\\Program Files\\Kontiki\\KService.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Kontiki\\KService.exe:*:Enabled:Delivery Manager Service"
"C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe:*:Enabled:iTunes"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\domainprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe:*:Enabled:MSN Messenger 7.5"

Remaining Files :

File Backups: - C:\SDFix\backups\backups.zip

Files with Hidden Attributes :

Fri 17 Feb 2006 4,348 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\DRMv1.bak"
Fri 7 Apr 2006 205 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\InterActual\InterActual Player\iti3.tmp"
Sat 13 Nov 2004 37,376 ...H. --- "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ESD\DLMCleanup.exe"
Fri 17 Feb 2006 4,348 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\My Documents\My Music\License Backup\drmv1key.bak"
Fri 17 Feb 2006 20 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\My Documents\My Music\License Backup\drmv1lic.bak"
Fri 17 Feb 2006 400 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\My Documents\My Music\License Backup\drmv2key.bak"
Fri 17 Feb 2006 1,536 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\My Documents\My Music\License Backup\drmv2lic.bak"

Finished!

#10 Mr Thunderwing

Mr Thunderwing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:34 AM

Well several days later and so far so good. No threats detected by AVG and I'd swear my computer even seems to be running a bit faster than it was. Thanks for all your help Boopme, I really do appreciate it :thumbsup: ! Unless I hear otherwise from you I'll assume that everything is sorted now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users