Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cpu issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EscapeV

EscapeV

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:46 AM

My computer suddenly became very slow, assumed it was virus so cleaned it, didnt help so restored it and reformatted. the computer ran smoother but it still was slow so i doubled the ram to 2 gig hoping that would do the trick. it didn't take care of the problem completely.

I have a HP pavilion A1310N with a A8AE-LE(amberineM) mother board. it is bone stock except i replaced the DDR with two kingston 1gig 400MHz sticks.

now i'm scratching my head, so i click on system and noticed that my computer processor is showing like 940 rather than the 2.2 that it should be showing. at other times its shown 1.77, & 2.19.

obviously when its showing 940 nothing wants to load or work properly and when its 1.77 its somewhat ok.

my solution would seem to be to replace the cpu (athlon 64 (s) 3700+ 2.2 Ghz socket 939) with a new one and hopefully a faster one. it seems the faster ones are the x2's and they want a kings ransom for them. it would seem to be just stupid to put $150 to $200 into another processor on an obsolete socket computer(which is what the faster processors are going for) but $40 or so for the same cpu(single core :thumbsup: ) probably would be worth it.

ok so.... is this a definately a cpu issue or could anything else be causing it?

thanks guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:05 AM

Open Task Manager and see what's hogging everything
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

Athlon 64s have a "Cool'n'Quiet" feature. The processor speed (via multiplier) is automatically lowered when the full speed is not needed. If you had some sort of malware/virus using cycles, the CPU would run full speed all the time. It is normal for the proc to show different speeds.

You might go into the BIOS and disable the feature to see if it makes any difference. Not sure of your options on a factory built system BIOS.

Like garmanma said, go into task manager and see what is eating up cycles.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users