Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a way to password protect applications.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Makaiton

Makaiton

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:57 AM

I'm aware that I might possibly be posting in the wrong forum, but I think I may have hit the mark.

I'm looking for a trick or program that will allow me to password protect or disable public users from turning off the antivirus, changing rules for the firewall, and even block useage of the network printers. The computers in question are all running on Windows XP and are on a large network that allows just any old schmuck to walk in and modify running processes and print off whatever they'd like. The school I am in would also like to prevent the installation of new programs (we have issues with children coming in and installing games or adults downloading illicit software (malware packages included).

Being unfamiliar with the setup of the network, I'm looking for directions in understanding and being able to lock down on these particular actions. What should I know to do these things and how can I do them? I have an intermediate knowledge of XP and computers in general, but as I said, I'm not familiar with the network or networks in general.

Help will be forever appreciated.
All good things should be free. Unfortunately, the opposite statement is what holds true most often.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:01 AM

Windows Steady State is an option that's free: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...ss/default.mspx

Beyond that, I'd suggest that you talk with the network administrators for further options.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Makaiton

Makaiton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for the link, I truly appreciate it.

As far as the network admins go, I happy to be the most computer savy person in the facility, so that won't really be of much help. I'm honestly not even sure how they got their network set up in the first place.
All good things should be free. Unfortunately, the opposite statement is what holds true most often.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:25 AM

I'd then look around to the neighboring school districts to see if:
- they know a bit about your predecessors
- what they use to keep the network safe.

You can also probably get a lot of good advice in our Networking forum located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Makaiton

Makaiton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:52 PM

Oh, the shame!

Some of the computers, if not all of them, have hard drives formatted in FAT32. This seems to be a problem with the Steady State. Apparently, I need to have the hard drives formatted as NFTS. Well...damn.

Is there any way around this, or should I start doing my research on networking?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:36 AM

Using the convert command from the Command Prompt can convert the drives to NTFS.

First backup any data that's needed (in case convert.exe fails).
Then open up the Command Prompt by going to Start...Run...and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter>
Then the syntax for the command on the boot drive is "convert.exe c: /fs:ntfs" (without the quotes)
Then reboot the system and let the conversion begin.
More in this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456984.aspx
and this one: http://www.ntfs.com/quest3.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users