Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm having massive issues with windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gigurhero

gigurhero

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:34 AM

I'm using Windows XP SP3. I've had no issues up until about 4 or 5 days ago. I don't know of anything I've done differently, and I've checked for viruses, adware, malware, etc. and my system is clean. Here's the problem:

There seems to be serious lag with my toolbar etc. loading up initially. When they finally come up, I can't get the Start menu to respond. Sometimes when I click on it, it pops up, but I can't go beyond that. More times than not, however, it doesn't respond at all. I can launch programs via Windows Task Manager > File > New Task and manually entering the path/file name of the application I want to run. However, if I attempt to use the "Browse" function, it's like with the start menu, usually no response, however occasionally it'll bring up the directory list. From there, no response.

My desktop is a little more responsive, but when I right-click on an object in my desktop it either (you guessed it) has no response, or brings up the right-click menu only to not respond to commands.

If I run in Safe Mode w/ Networking (as I am at this moment) everything responds as it should. I've tried running a system restore, I get the ol' "System Restore has encountered a problem and needs to close" and it wants to send an error report. This happens both in safe mode and with Windows loading "normally" (although there's nothing normal about it at the moment, obviously.)

I uninstalled SP3 and reinstalled it to see if that'd help, but no dice.

Oh, one last thing. The first night it started acting up, I'd rebooted my pc. When my pc restarted, I got the title screen for eMachines followed by a lovely black screen with the message Operating System Not Found. I rebooted and it loaded fine. Several times over the course of that first night (I can't remember exactly but I'd say 4-6 times) this happened on reboot, but it's not happened to me any other times since that first night I had problems.

Any help would be great. I intend to buy a new computer in a couple of weeks anyways, but I was intending on putting this pc in my four year old's room for him to play his little educational games on. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:15 AM

Ookay..Did you try making a new Account Profile..If it OK, then your Windows loading someting too long...I can easly tell that it was Conflicting software, which conflicts with another software..To stop it, go to safe mode, go Start, Run..Then type msconfig and press ok..You should see OS configuration..Locate startup tab..Press Disable All,Apply and OK..Restart Pc and boot into normal mode with conflicting account..If all OK, then type msconfig again and enable 1st program then 2nd,3rd ,until you found conflicting program...

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:20 AM

If you are going to make this a child's computer...just do a clean install of XP, then install whatever it is that you intend for the child to use.

If it were me, I would also run a diagnostic on the hard drive...just something I do before attempting any clean install of XP.

Louis

#4 gigurhero

gigurhero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:03 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention that I'd already tried creating a new user account with the same problem. I'll try what Premium suggested and if that doesn't work, I suppose I'll do a new install.

Thanks.

edit: The only two programs running at startup are ctfmon.exe and SysTray.exe Not sure if that helps, but figured I'd mention it.

Edited by gigurhero, 01 November 2008 - 12:05 PM.

#5 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:08 PM

OK, i think you need say- does all of processes running Ok (all critical processes are running?) if, so http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm will help you fastly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users