Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Slow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JXBlack

JXBlack

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:35 AM

My computer has slowed down considersbly. My Directory C:\ Documents and Settings has over 19,000 files and they consumealmost 6 Gigs of space. Is this slowing me down? Is their any way to safely reduce these files? I already use CCleaner but it doesn't seem to make a dent in these files.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:42 AM

Have you read this topic?
Slow Computer?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:46 AM

Registry tools aren't really effective, I wouldn't even bother with them. If you would like more information on why we don't suggest the use of registry cleaners read thisarticle.

How large is your hdd, and how much free space do you have on it?

When was the last time that you defragged the hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:14 AM

Thank you for your replies.

Ref Tq1911........Thanks for link. It looks very good.
Ref dc3..............Thanks also for excellent link on Registry Cleaners.

I have 3 Hard disks. An 80 ,160 and 640 Gig. I have tons of space.The last time I defragged was too long to remeber so I am doing it now as I type.

I ahve heard about a program calle HiJackThis. Do you know how this works and is it something I should be doing?

Thanks again

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:31 AM

HiJackThis is a specialized tool that lists the locations of several places on your system that are vulnerable to attack. It does not clean your system - but it does provide the trained observer with clues about where to look for problems (and then they use other tools to actually remove the infections).

HiJackThis is not needed for every infection - and the HiJackThis Team is overwhelmed with requests for assistance

If you think that you may be infected, I'd suggest starting with our Am I Infected forum located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ The experts there will be able to help with determining what course to take.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users