Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU problems, I think it's a conflict

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 g j conker

g j conker

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:34 PM

Hi All,

Recently I was moving my computer around and I lost the signal from my graphics card (an Nvidia 7300) I assumed the card died and went out and bought another card, a ATI Fire GL V3600. This installed and worked just fine until I moved the computer, jiggled some wires (and maybe the card) and on boot up, no signal. I plugged my monitor into mobo output where I did get a signal, so the output had reverted back to the onboard GPU. So I connect back to the onboard graphics and I am once again down to one monitor.

The problems are occurring with my Gateway GT5032 PC. With a little research I learned that the Gateway GT series is notorious for this problem of not detecting items installed in the PCIe slot and hundreds if not thousands of GT owners are having the exact same problem. People are assuming dead slots, dead cards, bios issues, but no one including a very non responsive Gateway, seems to have solved this mystery.

In my trying to diagnose the GPU problem I have fiddled with the bios, and drivers and the device manager, installed the GPU in various ways, cleaned the PCIe slot, reloaded the OS, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, etc, etc. Now, suddenly I lost use of my USB mouse and other USB devices. (by now it should be pretty obvious I have no idea what the hell I’m doing!). To fix this I started poking around in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section of the Device Manager and learned that DISABLING the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB host controller fixed my USB problem!

So now I’m wondering if the PCIe slot problems and my USB problems are related. The gateway mobo (a Foxconn C51GU01 is just a plain stinky mobo). There is no physical way to disable embedded graphics card but you can configure the Bios to detect the PCIe slot before the embedded card.

In the properties for the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB host controller the info says it’sPCI bus 0, device 11, function 1, but under System Devices the properties for the “Nvidia nForce PCI System Management “ say that it’s “PCI bus 0, device 10, function 1”. Under Resources/Resource settings it says “This device isn’t using any resources because it has a problem”. Is there a conflicts here? What other clues should I look for to solve this problem. Help all of us Gateway GT owners fix our PCIe problems. Please!!

Thanks,

Greg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:34 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

If it's a known hardware situation associated with a specific model/brand of computers...I guess that I have to wonder how you hope to solve it.

My approach to such consists of replacing or going around the troubled part/function. But since you don't seem to be able to pin down the point of origin...that seems to be an invalid approach for you.

I suppose that I would start with a BIOS update.

Louis

#3 g j conker

g j conker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:47 AM

Yep, the bios update didn't do the trick.

Regarding the "known issue" I can't tell whether it's known problem or if a bunch of us Gateway owners are missing something and I thought that the PCIe problems and USB problems might provide some clues to the problem. My other hope is that someone could recommend a strategy for solving the problem using the info I provided in my initial post. Naturally I would be happy to provide more data in the form of a report or something.

My hope was that someone would see my initial post and the info about the (what appears to be) USB/PCIe issues, and say "I know that problem".

Is there a report or some form of diagnostic I can run that provide more info to help fix this?

Thanks,

G

Hi :thumbsup:.

If it's a known hardware situation associated with a specific model/brand of computers...I guess that I have to wonder how you hope to solve it.

My approach to such consists of replacing or going around the troubled part/function. But since you don't seem to be able to pin down the point of origin...that seems to be an invalid approach for you.

I suppose that I would start with a BIOS update.

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:44 AM

If this card was working at one time you shouldn't need to update the BIOS, you only need to do this when you have hardware that you can't use with the current BIOS. Obviously that's not the case here.

Did you upgrade the PSU when you installed this card? If I'm not mistaken your computer only has a 300W PSU, and that card has a minimum requirement of 350W.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users