Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS W7J rebuild

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:52 PM

Hello world!

I have had an interesting day today, i just received an ASUS W7J that my father broke before her left(family stuff nvm that)

Here are the problems

I- The keyboard has been warped the the point of coming out of the computer.
Q: Where and what kinda of keyboard do i need? Can i use other makes and models of boards that i might be able to hardHack?

II- He removed the hard drive before leaving meaning i will need a ATA150 Compatible HDD
Q: Im looking at buying from either ebay or sprint It there anything i need to watch out for?

III- The powercord is missing may i buy another one as long as it feed the correct wattage and voltage to the system?
Q:What would be a good price for this unit?

IV- There is a long green line down the LCD when turned on(by memory from using it) and if the screen moves it can either have more green lines or less could that be a connection error, meaning i could fix that issue as im rebuilding the laptop?

Thank you for your time

Lyph
CompTIA A+ certified

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:28 AM

Laptop keyboards, and how they connect to the motherboard, vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even between product models. Once you remove the keyboard, there should be a part number on the back of the keyboard you can use to help find a replacement. You may want to contact Asus for more information or help in locating a keyboard. Unlike desktops, laptop issues can quickly become severe enough for you to just trash (err...recycle) the laptop and get a new one. It's possible that your LCD issues are related to a faulty connection, if a cable has come loose inside, you might be able to reconnect it when you remove the keyboard. However, if the problem lies within the LCD itself, you would need to replace the screen.

3939.png

#3 Ellypho

Ellypho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:01 AM

okay well i might be able to bent the board bsack into shape and what about thew power cord my grand-pas laptop power cower supplies the same voltage but dosent indicate what wattage could it still work for it? I dont want to trash it i could work it is a 2500$ machine after all im ready bto shell out 300$
CompTIA A+ certified

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:16 PM

Power cords are often interchangeable, you should be able to find one that works. I've swapped desktop power cords all the time since they use the same design, I don't see why a laptop would be much different if they have the same connector. If the LCD problem is not easily fixed, it could be difficult to find a replacement LCD. That is, if your laptop doesn't have a VGA connector on it. If it does have a VGA connector and the screen goes, you can connect it to another monitor.

3939.png

#5 Ellypho

Ellypho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:30 AM

Power cords are often interchangeable, you should be able to find one that works. I've swapped desktop power cords all the time since they use the same design, I don't see why a laptop would be much different if they have the same connector. If the LCD problem is not easily fixed, it could be difficult to find a replacement LCD. That is, if your laptop doesn't have a VGA connector on it. If it does have a VGA connector and the screen goes, you can connect it to another monitor.

No for a laptop it is different. The form factor of the connector is not the issue but the output of the adapter. This laptop being a bit of a power whore requires and input of 4.74amps, +19Volts and 90 watts. While most laptops run at +15V and 3.5A. As for the screen that is a non issue i rebuilt the machine and replugged all the connections and even found some screens available on ebay. So im looking for the adapter on ebay and found it and i found a cheap 120Gig 7200rpm sata/150 HDD for 49 bucks. As for my the keyboard being warped i have found a solution. I'm goin to simply use a blow dryer and slowly warp it back into shape once it cools it should be in a bit better shape then it once was right right?
CompTIA A+ certified

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

That should work, just make sure you can still press the keys afterward. I wonder why laptop manufacturers don't have standard power adapters.

3939.png

#7 Ellypho

Ellypho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:36 PM

I believe it would result in a larger product because the PSU built into the mobo would be really big to convert the specifique power required by that specifique system. Hence why they supply an external system(the ac adapter) to keep the form factor and weight down.
CompTIA A+ certified

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users