Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

having problems viewing available wireless Networks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bentley314

Bentley314

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:33 PM

Hey guys.

I reinstalled Windows XP Pro a month ago. Then i was living in a residential hall that had ethernet internet. My XP pro CD came with SP1, and came with a CD for SP2. I installed SP2, but i could no longer connect to the internet through the ethernet (i could without SP2), so a residential hall computer advisor told me to uninstall SP2. I did this and was able to connect to the internet, and everything is fine. Now, i am at home...where i have a wireless connect (from cable internet). However, i am no longer able to connect to this wireless network. Whenever I enable the Wireless Network Connection on my labtop, it automatically connects to some connection in my neighborhood (and its a poor connection), instead of connecting to the network that is running from my wireless hub in my basement. Even worse, when i try to view available wireless networks, was comes up is a window taht entirely gray (as in nothing is available to click on except cancel). I'm not sure if i'm explaining this well. I doesnt show anything but only gives me the option to cancel and exit that View Available wireless Connections window. I know it nothing to do with the actual connection, b/c my sister is able to connect to the wireless network. I'm wondering if there is anything i can do to enable my labtop to be able to see available wireless connections in the area and be able to actually connect to my wireless connection instead of automatically connecting to some wireless connection. Thanks in advanced for all your help!

Eugene

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:06 PM

The network connection wizard in Win 2K Pro should be able to set up the network for you.

You must have your computer in the same workgroup.

#3 Bentley314

Bentley314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:11 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with all that. The wireless internet connection was created before I reinstalled windows, so are you suggesting that the hub doesnt recognize my computer or something like that...i'm confused.

#4 Bentley314

Bentley314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:15 PM

its not really a network connection, the problems is that i can't view any available wireless networks anymore, and my labtop connects to some random wireless connection when i turn on the wireless internet on my labtop. Before reinstalling XP pro with SP1 i was able to view all wireless connections in my area and was able to connect to my wireless connection, now i can do neither. Thats my problem.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:17 PM

When you reinstalled windows you also reset your network connections back to none -
You need to reestablish whatever is necessary for that computer to belong to a network.

You must rerun the network connection wizard, name the computer to the same workgroup the network is on, and allow the router to find the computer.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:21 PM

Hi Bentley

You also need to get your wireless access point out of the basement for the same reasons they put antennas on the top of tall buildings :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Bentley314

Bentley314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:23 PM

That may be so, but what's preventing me from viewing any available wireless connection in my area, especially those that are not in my workgroup.

Also, what explains the automatic connection to some random wireless connection when i enable wireless internet on my labtop....i'm sure that my labtop is not in the same workgroup as that random wireless connection (thats not my own)....why would i be able to connect to this wireless connection and not any other (or view any other either)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users