Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

master and slave HDs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sabrin

sabrin

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:36 PM

Hi, Ive got a problem. I just had a new mother board installed, and as it was different from my former board, I was told that I needed to install windows agian. I opted to install another hard drive. hard drive 1 is the master (with new windows installed), and hard drive 2 is the slave (with all my docu and programs). the "helpful" guy at the computer store said I could copy and paste the programs and they would work, but this is not the case. Also, the new windows is full of trojans! (am taking appropriate action agianst the retail outlet that did the work) So my question is
If I switch the master and slave configuration (my slave hd is my old hd that has windows installed) and then wipe clean the new hd and reinstall, will that work or will I have conflicts because i have a new mother board that is different from my old mother board. Any help would be appriciated.
thanks sabrin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:40 PM

You might be able to pull it off with a repair install on your old hard drive. Maybe. You would be better off doing a fresh install, but you might be okay.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:29 AM

Let me see if I have this straight, you are going to make the old hdd with the operating system the slave drive. And you are going to make the new hdd the master and make a fresh installation of the operating system on it? If this is the case I don't see any problem with it, being a fresh installation it won't have any recognition of the previous motherboard, so no problems.
I would not install the old drive until after you have install the operating system on the new hdd, less confusion. I'm guessing that you are going to install the old hdd as a slave in order to transfer files to the new hdd? I would suggest wiping the old hdd and partition and format it if you are going to use it for storage. If you right click on Start and and then click on Explore you will be able to click on the old hdd and drag and drop files from there to your new hdd. The new drive will high light in blue indicating that it is the target for the transfer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 sabrin

sabrin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

thanks, that helps. sabrin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users