Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet explore restarts when I scan a file.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kidro

kidro

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

I recently bought karpersky internet security 09' and right after I installed the program I downloaded a file. After the file finished downloading I ran a scan on the file and noticed my internet explore restarting even if I'm using the browser or not and this happens just about every time i run a scan on a file. Can somebody help me fix this.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

Hi kidro,

The file that you downloaded. Could it have been carrying malware?

Have you been able to scan your PC with Kaspersky since?

You say that Internet Explorer restarts even when you're not using it? How does that work?

Do you have any other antivirus or antispyware on your PC. If so have you run them? If not then try and online scan here:

TrendMicro

Did it find anything? Would your PC let it run?

Sorry for the questions but we need a bit more info :thumbsup:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 kidro

kidro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

(Q)The file that you downloaded. Could it have been carrying malware?
(A)The scan did'nt show any malware

(Q)Have you been able to scan your PC with Kaspersky since?
(A)yes , all the time with no problem.

(Q)You say that Internet Explorer restarts even when you're not using it? How does that work?
(A)I have no idea

(Q)Do you have any other antivirus or antispyware on your PC. If so have you run them? If not then try and online scan here
(A)Yes (Windows Defender) and yes I have ran them but I 'll try the online scan to see if kaspersky might of missed something.

(Q)Did it find anything? Would your PC let it run?
(A)I ran the scan on safe mode and it did'nt find anything and yes it ran with no problem.

P.S It seems to be doing this whether its a file downloaded from the internet or not.

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:17 PM

Kidro,

First, what operating system are you running?

Run the scan in normal mode. If you run it in safe mode the offending program may not be running.

(Q)You say that Internet Explorer restarts even when you're not using it? How does that work?
(A)I have no idea

What I mean is if you aren't using IE it can't restart. I'm not getting that. Don't worry.

P.S It seems to be doing this whether its a file downloaded from the internet or not.

Are you saying that IE is restarting randomly whether you are actioning something or not now?

Anyway, rerun the scan and lets make double sure you haven't got anything obviously nasty. I have a neat little tool to try if this comes up empty. :thumbsup:

Edited by m0le, 01 November 2008 - 07:30 PM.

Posted Image

#5 kidro

kidro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:10 PM

(Q)what operating system are you running?
(A)vista.

(Q)Are you saying that IE is restarting randomly whether you are actioning something or not now?
(A)IE restarts when I right click on a file and scan a file but IE does not restart when I peform a full system scan.

rerun the scan and lets make double sure you haven't got anything obviously nasty. I have a neat little tool to try if this comes up empty.
(A)I've just finished the system scan and found nothing.

#6 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:49 AM

What program are you using to scan files when you are right-clicking?
Posted Image

#7 kidro

kidro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

Kaspersky

#8 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:27 PM

Okay, let's try something different.

Go to Internet Options then Advanced and choose "Restore Advanced Settings" and then click "Reset".

If that doesn't work...

Disable Internet Explorer add-ons. Then try scanning a file.

If that works then you may have an issue with the compatibility of one of the add-ons. You will need to enable them one at a time to see which one it is.
Posted Image

#9 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:00 PM

Hi All,

Sorry to intrude as I have no help to offer, however, I wanted to tell m0le that I have been having IE browsers either opening or trying to open without me clicking on the IE icon to get them started.

The browsers don't open up in front of my eyes, they just kind of seem to be doing something in the background all on their own.

I only know that they have been doing that because I get the unresponsive alert telling me that a browser is trying to close.

Sometimes I'll have five or six of those suckers running at the same time... and at times I have to run TrendMicros CWShredder to get the suckers to close.

This has been happening for a long time, and I hve been juged virus free by the HJT team here on BC a couple of times.

I just wanted to toss that info in to let you know that IE does seem to be able to start is't own self.

♥ Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#10 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

Hi Wendy,

There is no way that IE should be opening on its own. I'm only a junior classman at BC so I can't offer any removal help but if you are using CWShredder to stop the background processes then you can't be malware-free.

I suggest you explain this situation to the Am I Infected section and try again.

Sometimes malware metamorphosises to avoid detection and other malware is invisible to Hijackthis such as rootkits. These sometimes hide from detection/removal and spread repeat infections.

Good luck
Posted Image

#11 kidro

kidro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:10 AM

Okay, let's try something different.

Go to Internet Options then Advanced and choose "Restore Advanced Settings" and then click "Reset".

If that doesn't work...

Disable Internet Explorer add-ons. Then try scanning a file.

If that works then you may have an issue with the compatibility of one of the add-ons. You will need to enable them one at a time to see which one it is.

I went ahead and disabled all the IE add-ons and I'm still having the same problem, I really thought that was the source of the problem I'm clueless on what is causing this, If you have any more suggestion please let me know.

Thanks,Kidro

Edited by kidro, 07 November 2008 - 10:11 AM.

#12 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:18 AM

I haven't but try this troubleshooter questionnaire on Microsoft's website. Maybe they can suggest something I haven't thought of

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users