Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dimension 4600

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TheOverWhelming

TheOverWhelming

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:08 PM

About three months ago I bought a NVIDIA 7600 GS video card for my computer, a Dimension 4600.

I completely forgot about it until a few days ago when I tried installing it.
I put it in the only slot that fits, which is a green slot (the other ones were AGP (I think), the off-white ones).

After awhile (drives, etc), I got it working to the point I got a Code Error 12, saying that it is using the same resources as another code and needs to be disabled. So, I disabled my previous card, NVIDIA 5200. When I started my computer up I got four errors (this was before windows actually loaded) that said something along the lines of "1/00/00 Error:" After the 'Error:' part there were several errors, I can't memorize the specifics with the 5 seconds it shows them.
When I logged on, I got a "Gigabyte not found2." error.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do, or is the video card not compatible?

Backround Info: Use Windows XP SP3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:33 PM

Welcome to BleepingComputer.

I'm finding your information slightly confusing. Where is the 5200 card fitted, and how did you "disable" it?

Seems your system should have one AGP slot and two PCI, and would have normally been specified with an AGP card. If you fitted the 7600 card to the AGP slot, and there was already a PCI 5200 card, there are a few possible causes for the problem you're having.

Firstly, a resource sharing error is likely if the PCI video card is fitted in the slot closest to the AGP. These commonly share the same IRQ lines. In this case moving the PCI card to the other PCI slot may resolve the clash.

Secondly, if the system is fitted with a PCI video card, this would be unusual, and may perhaps indicate the AGP has in the past developed a fault, and the PCI card was fitted to keep the system operating. Have you tried the 7600 card alone?

Edited by Platypus, 31 October 2008 - 07:34 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 TheOverWhelming

TheOverWhelming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:42 AM

Indeed, the 5200 is placed a slot below the 7600. There are a total of four slots, the second to bottom one is used for our phone company. I tried originally to move the 5200 down but that caused the 7600 to NEVER be detected, even after 10 restarts. So, I moved it back up.

Maybe later I'll try it alone with the 7600.

Oh, and by Disabling it I used the Drive Manager, double click, then Enable/Disable on the bottom of the first tab.

#4 TheOverWhelming

TheOverWhelming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:21 PM

Well, I did it but I still have the same problem.
The error message (something about Pem Bar or Phem BAR) comes up on init and the device manager says the 7600 is not there when I log on.
I also I forgot to say (unless I did, then this is completely useless) that my SCSI controller isn't installed, and needs to be reinstalled. When I click reinstall, and it checks the computer and everything, it says the needed files aren't there or whatever that message says. During this process I had both my 7600 driver CD then I tried again with my 5200, same error message.
I checked Hidden Drivers and there's already a driver in there with the same name, and it works, but isn't connected to the computer.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:50 PM

I'd suggest, to make it less complicated, find out first if the 7600 card actually does work in the AGP slot. Use the designated key to enter the BIOS setup screen, and see if there is a menu option to select between PCI/AGP for Primary video. If there is, it should currently be set to PCI, change it to AGP, Save the BIOS settings, shut off the computer and fit only the 7600 card (with the monitor connected to it... ). Keep tapping the BIOS setup key, in case nothing shows on the screen. (It can be useful to set FDD as first boot device and use a DOS boot floppy, stops Windows starting up.) If the BIOS setup screen appears, you should then be able to exit the BIOS, let Windows start, set up the 7600 card, then shut down and re-fit the 5200.

If the 7600 doesn't show the BIOS screen, then either the card or the AGP slot are faulty.

** Caution ** If the AGP slot is faulty, and you set the Primary video card to AGP, you then may not be able to see anything in order to set it back to PCI. Some boards may change automatically if only a PCI video card is fitted, but for others, you need to beforehand write down the necessary key sequence so the setting can be changed "blind".
Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 TheOverWhelming

TheOverWhelming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

The 7600 fits in one slot, green one. The other ones are incorrectly placed and have the wrong pattern for the 7600 to be placed in it, let alone have enough room to even try (would need to remove the back as to obtain room).

Before I do anything, should I have a certain type of monitor for the 7600?
I have an older monitor, big, not flat screen. It's around 2-3 years old.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

Did you completely uninstall the drivers from the 5200 before putting the 7600 in and installing the drivers for the 7600?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 TheOverWhelming

TheOverWhelming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:26 AM

Twice I've done that. Since it did not work and gave me the same error message that I've been getting every start up (both log on and turning on the computer) I was forced to reinstall the 5200.

#9 TheOverWhelming

TheOverWhelming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

Alright, on the setup video thing I set it to AGP instead of Auto (Help says that Auto will automatically detect and use PCI if there's no AGP).
I still get the little error on initialization about PHEM bar and the log in message, and I still have the 5200 one in, the 7600 is still undetected.
One more thing (incase I didn't mention this), my SCSI Controller says I need to it (reinstall driver option). Although, there is a hidden one that works but it says it's not connected. Anyway I can have my computer realize it IS installed?

Edited by TheOverWhelming, 19 November 2008 - 08:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users