Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports causing rapid temp rise.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony A

Anthony A

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

My Dell Inspiron 9400 has been having a strange problem with the USB ports lately. I notice that whenever I plug a device into one of the USB ports and than un plug the device my CPU temps rise rapidly. They will rise to 60+C than the fans will kick in and cool the CPU down to about 38C. The temps will rise very rapidly above 60C and the fans will kick on again. This will be happening even though I am doing nothing on the machine. It's just idling and CPU usage is about 1%. I monitor this with a program called SIW. This cycle will continue every few mins until I plug a device into one of the USB ports and remove it again. If I do that the temps will drop to the normal 48C and stay there.

It seems plugging a device in the USB port and then un plugging it causes something to mess up and spike my temps. Plugging a device in again and than removing it fixes it. This is happening no matter what port I use. I have watched this happen many times now and monitored the temps and CPU usage while it happens.

What could be the problem? It's very annoying to plug in a device do what I need to do and un plug the device than watch my CPU temps spike and the fans constantly kick on every 2 min when the machine is idle and the CPU usage is 1%. Than have to plug in a device just so I can un plug it and fix the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

When you unplug anything, are you using the safely remove USB device in the System Tray?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Anthony A

Anthony A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:13 PM

When you unplug anything, are you using the safely remove USB device in the System Tray?

Yes I am and always do. It's weird because it doesn't matter what port I plug into (I have 6 on the machine) when I unplug the temps start their climb. If I plug in again on any of the ports and remove the device the problem is fixed. I watch this clearly with SIW.

I'm afraid the mother board might be screwed but maybe there is a simple thing I am over looking or somebody else has experienced the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users