Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD LCD Monitors?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zen00

Zen00

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:31 PM

So, is the HD LCD monitors really worth the amount that you pay for them? I'd like to get a monitor for use with graphic editing and such, and I'd like a good one.

I was thinking about an HD one, 22 or 24 inch, what do you people think? What's a good brand, model?
This space will eventually have something very cool to fill it up, but not right now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:40 AM

Almost all monitors in the 22 inch range or higher are HD, in some fashion, by default if they are used at their native resolutions. Models at the 24 inch size or higher support 1080. If you want to get HD into the monitor, you should use either a DVI cable (usually provided by the LCD manufacturer in the box) or an HDMI cable, if it is supported by both the monitor and graphics card. Both cables offer superior video over a standard VGA cable. There are numerous choices for monitors.

BenQ V2400W Black-Silver 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - I have a slightly older model of this monitor and it is highly recommended at that price.
Acer P243WAid Black-Silver 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Good price but the screen has a glossy finish that can make it difficult to use in very bright rooms or in sunlight.
ASUS MK241H Black 24" 2ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor with 1.3M Pixel Webcam - A little expensive, but it has a webcam if you need one. There is also a mail in rebate for this which drops the price slightly.
LG W2452T-TF Black 24" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor - No HDMI but it does have free shipping and good reviews.

3939.png

#3 Zen00

Zen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for the help, I looked at all of those and they look pretty good.

What do you think I should be looking for in an HD LCD Monitor then? What features?

I'm currently looking at this one right here as a good choice. Acer P244Wbii

Edited by Zen00, 02 November 2008 - 01:28 PM.

This space will eventually have something very cool to fill it up, but not right now.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:47 PM

Remember, with the Acer P244Wbii, it has a glossy screen making it difficult to see in direct sunlight or in bright rooms. Also the P244Wbii does not have a DVI connection on it, meaning in order to get a decent HD signal, you would need an HDMI cable. Almost all graphics cards support VGA and DVI connections. Some allow for HDMI through the card directly or through a dongle. There are a few things to look for in a monitor, a contrast ratio of 1000:1 or higher, and a decent refresh rate of 4ms or lower. Contrast ratios can be a little unreliable, manufacturers can change testing conditions to make the monitor seem as though it has a high one. Also, there is dynamic contrast ratio, this changes LCD monitor based on what is being displayed. This can be distracting in my opinion. I would probably go for the Asus monitor I chose, it has more features even though it is more expensive.

3939.png

#5 Zen00

Zen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:07 PM

Hrm, can't remember what turned me off on that one in the first place, looked at the reviews again, and yeah, it's a good one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users