Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files & Settings Transfer after PC Restore by Symantec

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Peter2305

Peter2305

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:06 PM

Hope someone can help with this. Here's the background:

After much effort over the past few weeks to clear malware etc and sundry other problems, I decided to do a PC Restore by Symantec. I had done a full backup using the Files & Settings Transfer wizard and saved to my external hard drive. I had been running Service Pack 2 up until this point.

As part of the restoration process, as soon as WinXP was up and running I installed critical updates from Microsoft and graduated to SP3 at the same time thinking everything would be ok. When I went back to use FSTW it appeared to transfer my files and folders successfully, however when I looked in Win Explorer, none of my many photographs were there, nor were all my MSoft Outlook email records. I have uninstalled SP3 and am now running SP2 again, as I read elsewhere on this site, that this could be my problem. I then ran FSTW again hoping that this would enable the files etc to be captured successfully, but sadly, it didn't work, although the wizard said the transfer had been successful.

I'm trying not to panic as I really would like to get access to these old files and folders. What else should I try?

Thank you

I have a Dell Dimension 5150 Pentium 4 Processor 640 + HT 3.20GHz 2MB cache
1024 Mb RAM
Internal 9-in-1 Flash card reader
160GB SATA hard drive
16x max DVD+/-RW & 48x CDROM drive
FP/MG 17" flat panel monitor
128 MB ATI Radeon X300 SE graphics card
SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit sound card
Logitech LX700 wireless keyboard & mouse
Avermedia DVB-T USB 2.0 TV Tuner
WD 250GB My Book Premium Edition External Hard Drive