Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP shuts machine down....98 doesnt!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lotuss

lotuss

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:22 PM

I have a compaq presario v2570nr laptop. I have replaced the motherboard, cpu, memory, fans, and hard drive. To no avail it still shuts down after about 3 minutes of operation. Whether you are in bios, xp setup from disk, safe mode, or normal mode. I thought what the hell, I will put a hard drive in that has 98 loaded on it. IT WORKS!!! 98 ran on this laptop for about 2 hrs then I shut it down. It didnt shut down automatically. Thought maybe it was the hard drive afterall, so I started loading xp on the same hard drive that ran 98 for 2 hrs. and after 3 mins it shut off. Someone mentioned that maybe it isnt xp compatible...it came with xp on it. I need to know why any kind of xp activity makes it shut off abruptly, and 98 will run it no problems. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:19 PM

See if XP runs in Safemode
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lotuss

lotuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

No it doesnt.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:07 PM

I would have to assume the the hard drive with XP on it is some how damaged
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:22 AM

Does its shut down properly?(Logging off...Saving your settings...Windows is shutting down...) Or just shuts off (working and then screen just go black)?

#6 lotuss

lotuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

Shuts off like there is no power, but there is cause running on bat or plug it will start right back up when you press the power button. All Charge lights are working properly, I have replaced all power loss parts (cord, power adapter, battery, motherboard, cpu) and still runs for 3 mins or so then loss of power, except when running a 98 loaded Hard drive.

#7 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:39 PM

Hmm, problem may be Windows XP settings are wrong?Check power stting first.Then run System File Checker...Well the worst problem is hardware problem (well try Running DriverScanner and register with serial: DS-G06F8-3F0C3-74D32-06C90-60601-000G0 hope updating the drivers fix it)

#8 lotuss

lotuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:15 PM

I CANT do anything with a hard drive installed with xp...bios, boot, nothing. If I put a 98 hard drive in, then I cant update xp drivers, and it shouldnt be a driver issue cause I cant even load xp.

#9 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:52 AM

OK...I see that you cant do anything in normal mode..Well maybe safe mode can work?before windows xp splash screen shows up pres F8 rapidly...Then run SFC, Analyze hardware and return in Normal Mode...Maybe Graphics Card is disabled.. If so enable it(from device manager) If you cannot access Safe Mode,Insert XP CD and run a repair...

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:39 AM

I have to agree with garmanma, I would look at the hdd that has XP installed on it. Most all hdd manufacturers have a diagnostic tool to test their hdds. If you know who made your hdd, go to their web site and download their diagnostic tool. You will need to burn this to a CD so that you can boot from it. You may need to go into the BIOS to make the CD-ROM the first device in the boot order.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 lotuss

lotuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:35 AM

Quote: "I would have to assume the the hard drive with XP on it is some how damaged"

As did I, so after the 98 successfully ran I tried to load xp onto that hard drive. and before it even gets to the first option screen the machine shuts off.

Quote: "OK...I see that you cant do anything in normal mode..Well maybe safe mode can work?before windows xp splash screen shows up pres F8 rapidly...Then run SFC, Analyze hardware and return in Normal Mode...Maybe Graphics Card is disabled.. If so enable it(from device manager) If you cannot access Safe Mode,Insert XP CD and run a repair..."

Sorry for the misunderstanding, when I say "I cant do anything", that means anything, including safe mode, I can boot do xp disc but before it gets to option screen it shuts off so cant run repair or repair console.

Quote: "I have to agree with garmanma, I would look at the hdd that has XP installed on it. Most all hdd manufacturers have a diagnostic tool to test their hdds. If you know who made your hdd, go to their web site and download their diagnostic tool. You will need to burn this to a CD so that you can boot from it. You may need to go into the BIOS to make the CD-ROM the first device in the boot order."

I have ruled out a hard drive issue via trying to load xp onto the successfully loaded and running win 98 hard drive.

It is also NOT that the hard drive I had 98 on wont hold xp, cause I successfully installed that hard drive onto another machine and loaded and ran xp.

I do want to thank all for the ideas, keep them coming I am sure it is something simple, it always is.

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:54 AM

This is a Long shot?

Often the CMOS can get screwed up when it involves XP and WIN 98.

Power off the Machine, disconect the PSU from the Motherboard then locate the CMOS Battery, it looks like a coin on most machines? Near it you find a Jumper, move it from Pins 1&2 to pins 2&3 for about 2 minutes. Then change it back to Pins 1&2. If you cant find the Jumper, just remove the Battery for 2 Minutes and replace it.

That will Drain the CMOS and Maybe fix it. BTW you will need to adjust your Time and Date in the BIOS. If unsure how to do that post back?

BTW? don't forget to hook up the PSU to the Motherboard, then power it back up.

:thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by Abacus 7, 03 November 2008 - 09:56 AM.

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:46 AM

disconect the PSU from the Motherboard

This is probably an old AT power supply. You can just unplug it from the outlet and cycle it on and off a few times
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users