Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Protection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:21 PM

Surveys can bring up some interesting points of view. What are your thoughts about the firewall protection you have in place?

For starters, I'm just using Internet Connection Firewall in win xp pro. The 0-1056 port scan at Gibson Research's "Shield's Up" verifies that I'm operating in full stealth mode, furthor stating:

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet solicited or otherwise was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

I've closed the D-Com port, and I'm on a dial-up that gives me an static IP (an adress that changes each time I connect) I infrequently use IE, mostly using Firefox now, and don't use Outlook Express, having also "shot the messenger" per a small utility GRC offers.

The first scan offered has this to say:

Attempting connection to your computer. . .
Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!
Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

I understand that if I had a trojan at work, it could change my configurations at boot-up, for instance and send data outward bound...but is that likely to occur if the situation remains as it is. [just some firewall related concerns I have]
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Bobi-p

Bobi-p

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:29 AM

I use Kerio since Zone Alarm 5 had all of the problems. It works very well.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:31 AM

I use sygate personal free firewall. It works great! Good rich features too and easy to use!

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:46 AM

I'm using Kerio too. I like it but it has failed the LeakTest. I don't really know what I can do to fix it.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 BSAC

BSAC

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:02 PM

Using ZA 3.0 at home. Where can I get a free firewall for another computer?
Be Strong And Courageous!

Kevin

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 02:01 PM

I'm installing Sygate today, the user guide is 143 pages and I'm 50 into it...and there are others that I've looked into, all free...most with options to improve by buying:

http://smb.sygate.com/

http://www.kerio.com/kerio.html

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

http://www.download.com/3000-2092-10039884...page&tag=button

http://www.omniquad.com/downloads.htm

:thumbsup:

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:36 AM

I currently use Sygate Personal Firewall and am generally impressed with it.
It just seems smart, given the current state of the Net, to install and run a firewall; as a good netcitizen, I can have some pride in the fact that I am not contributing to infecting other's computers, nor allowing unauthorised use of my computer for projects that I would not approve.
Regards to all,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2004 - 04:19 AM

given the current state of the Net, to install and run a firewall; as a good netcitizen

I happy with the SYGATE free, too. Now that it's been a while. I'm happier about this concept, John

as a good NetCitizen... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users