Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchasing an XP OEM License?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:37 PM

What're the rules on this?

I have a system built custom that I'd like to put XP on. Can I change everything but the motherboard if I ever want to upgrade? Or am I stuck with that hardware profile forever if I buy an OEM license?

...Yea... I've been reading this thread and it has me thinking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:53 PM

The rules...if you want to know them...are all posted at the Microsoft website.

Just search for "EULA for OEM license".

But...I don't think you want to know "the rules".

There are any number of posts re licensing, etc. available in the archives of this and (probably) every other computer help forum.

I guess that I don't see what is there to misunderstand or not understand, especially considering the ability of Platypus to lay it out for anyone to read.

If you want to know something other than "the rules"...just ask your question and we all will be glad to chime in with our personal opinions. Many of us have OEM licenses for XP.

Louis

Edit: Somewhat related recent post, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/177121/can-i-use-the-windowsxp-disc-i-currently-have/

Edited by hamluis, 31 October 2008 - 01:23 PM.

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:13 PM

I don't know about it, I have 5 OEM licenses myself. I'm not sure what the rules are for upgrading however I do know this from upgrading, if you upgrade 2 or more components in your computer ( Like, Hard Drive and Processor ) It WILL ask you to re-verify windows so I think its ok you upgrade it.

Some one correct me if I am wrong.

BUT: If it is not allowed you can format the hard drive on that computer, therefor releasing the license and its free to install on which ever computer you want.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:39 PM

Here is a Microsoft thread about that: :huh:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

XP, at start-up, runs a component check. You must have 7 of 10 checks in order to continue. I couldn't find the link but the components are the motherboard, NIC card, CD-rom, CPU, and some others. Sorry but I couldn't find that thread but I do remember that the NIC alone is good for 3 'checks'.

So, change a component and then boot up and run it some. Next day, change something else, etc. :thumbsup:

I hope this helps... :huh:

DR

#5 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:27 PM

It does. That is exactly what I wanted to know: "How many components can I change if I buy and OEM and need to upgrade later?"

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:51 PM

Here's the link, straight from Microsoft. :huh: :thumbsup:

http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sam...p/6795.aspx#102 :huh: B) :) B) :)

Give that a good reading and it should tell you most of what you are asking.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users