Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Halloween and the ugly ...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:18 PM

For those who's not-so-little ones insist on venturing out alone tonight to Trick and Treat, perhaps this site will reassure you - or perhaps you'll insist you are going with them.

Crimes against children - National/State Sex Offender Registry

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cid/cac/registry.htm

This is a USA info site only. How I wish we had a similar one here in Canada.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:28 AM

I think it's very dangerous, to let your child knock on strangers Doors,trick or Treating,alone, on dark, or anytime for that matter.Parents need a reality check here, as Sydney has had at least 8 attempted Child Abductions, in the last month or so.One being less than half a mile from here.I shudder to think, what could happen to these innocent Children.
A Guy, here near where I live, built a huge underground Dungeon under his house.Luckily,it was discovered before he managed to abduct someone. There are some sick people in this World.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?Men...ContentID=98646

Edited by DSTM, 01 November 2008 - 05:39 AM.

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:47 AM

This Link, although a bit Dated shows it is a serious Problem all over the World, Mate.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-10206827.html

:thumbsup:

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:47 AM

Never doubted that for a moment,Abacus7. The point I was making,if this happened in your neighbourhood,with heavy Media coverage,one would think the Parents, would be even more vigilant.Instead of letting 5-8 yr olds, roam the neighbourhood, for a piece of Candy, or some loose change,and putting their Children,potentially at risk.
Out of roughly 40 Children, who Knocked on my door,only 4 had Parents or Guardians with them. Dumb Parents,IMHO.

#5 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:29 AM

I completely agree, it is a sad sign of the times that little children can't do what we used to do, Mate.

I think Australia got a Wake up Call with the Graham Thorn Case and the Beaumont Children, and Wanda Beach?

The way it was when we were Kids, probably will never be repeated.

:thumbsup:

#6 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

There was quite a load who came Trick or Treating in our area probably about the 50 Kids I mentioned on the "Happy Halloween" Thread, Only the youngest Group came with Parents there were about 6 or 7 in the Group all around the age of 5-7 I'd say, The others who came were around 8-12 Years Old they all went around on there own.

What does my Head in here is a load of People who Sex Offenders are released Early here, Our Prisons are Full and near breaking point because the Government hasn't built anymore for a while or not at a Quick enough Rate to keep putting people in Prison, there are around 80,000 Cells in this Country for prisoners. 2 Years ago around 50 Sex Offenders were released early maybe more just to make room for more Prison Cells they didn't release the People with less serious crimes like maybe stealing something from a store which maybe put them in Jail for a few months but the Sex Offenders who were meant to be in Jail for 10 Years, Shows you Stupidity that occurs sometimes :thumbsup:

#7 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:07 PM

After posting the link to locating usglies within one's own community, I spent more time searching for a similar Canadian site. Either I've lost my knack for searching with Google or hmmm.

Thought the link may come in handy for parents who simply want to know if there is danger living close to their home or their child's school, too - because surely everyone's comments are right and we don't live in the type of world we once did, sadly.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

Here in Australia,we are not given access, to Registries. The Government gives these Sex Offenders, a New Identity,then dumps them in the middle of unsuspecting communities. When they are found out they are pestered till they leave town.
Crazy things our Government does here. They protect the Criminal, more than the Citizens,IMO.

http://www.mako.org.au/list.html

Edited by DSTM, 01 November 2008 - 12:44 PM.

#9 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:42 PM

After posting the link to locating usglies within one's own community, I spent more time searching for a similar Canadian site. Either I've lost my knack for searching with Google or hmmm.

Although searching for a Similar link is Great, I really doubt they do let Canadians get to that Information the same as Here in the UK and Oz as DSTM has pointed out. I think it is more for the Security of those People that the Names aren't released people would obviously try tracking them down and may do something they regret.

The 50 or so Sex Offenders who were released here didn't even have a mention of Names or where they were released from, The Americans are lucky they can get to so much Information from there Governments because in the Commonwealth Countries we just aren't allowed that Information (At least I get the Impression we can't) or hardly anything only a bit of Information is given out and then that is after around 4 or 5 Years here when I think some law kicks in and people can request that information (Not to ordinary people like us, Institutions etc).

Edited by woodyblade, 01 November 2008 - 12:46 PM.

#10 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:12 PM

While I do see our Government's point - in some ways - surely the number of people who would form their own posse and go after a nasty is low. Low compared to the danger that so many sex offenders present to little ones perhaps living next door to them.

Sadly Mother Nature doesn't make a provision for having sex offenders each have a huge red 'x' on their forehead - sigh.

#11 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:56 PM

Yeah it is harsh about the little Info we get about the Sex Offenders, I do think though that the People on the Streets were the Sex Offenders might live are warned about them moving into the Area, I've never seen it happen though someone maybe able to correct me on this?

Suppose the Governments have a Reason for not letting us have access to the Information, I doubt we will know the Reason either unless one of us becomes a High Ranking Politician (Unlikely, Although still a chance)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users