Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG 8. Personal E-mail scanner

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:36 AM

I guess I need a plug-in ?

I know that this is a common question and I've been here before, but I can not find the forum post.

I am having a problem with the AVG E-Mail scanner as it is displaying that the E-mail scanner is not active and there are no plug=ins installed.

I have seen both answers, that you do not need this and do need it I have a ISP, and use Outlook Express V. 6.

I can not find the D/L site for plug-ins.

I also get that the update connection failed, but when I click updates it loads and sucessfully completes the down load.

Thanks for any help !

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:47 PM

My AVG 8.0 i dont have any plugins for it, not sure if i should for it to work, but mine is active, so should be working fine, i also have the problem, it fails to auto update, but it updates if you do it manauly.

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:33 PM

Thanks Samuel3,

When I send myself an e-mail I don't see anything happening at the bottom right of the screen,

I had AVG before, and I thought something was happening there when an email came in ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:06 PM

Hi Jove,

It's true that using email scanners can do more harm that good. If your antivirus program is working properly, it will scan those folders and files anyway just as being part of your computer. Adding the extra email scan can actually cause damage to your emails. See this article at microsoft. It's quite interesting and easily readable.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/commun...corruption.mspx

Zllio

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:29 PM

Hi Zllio, Thanks for the Topic Page, it looks interesting and full of. "need to know", information, for now I'm going with samuel3, and just leave well enough alone, I know that AVG, has a email scan test, which I'll look into. and see whats going on with that scanning program.

I have noticed that my Network Diagnostics has come up with some Outlook Express failures in Configurations so, I'll be checking that against, my network connection problems as I have noticed that firefox maybe using the msimn.exe file to connect to the internet, and previously I have been having some problems with both I.E. and Firefox finding the address, etc.
The msimn.exe file is a O.E. file, so this is all pretty new to me.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:46 PM

Hi Jove,

Important to compress your email files on a regular basis and not to let any one folder get too full. Better to use a lot of folders.

Zllio

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:11 PM

Thanks Zllio,

I just noticed this feature in options, although I have recently rebuilt the system and there aren't enough files compiled yet I will look into this for future maintenance, you learn something new everyday!

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users