Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troubles accessing external HD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scubab

scubab

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:20 AM

I have a thread going over in the External Hardware section, but they advised me to inquire about my issue over here in the Vista forum.
Sorry for cross threading, but this is really confusing me!!
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry992429

I'm having an issue accessing my external HD. If I go to My Computer and click on it, it does absolutely nothing. If I right click and go to Open I get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I've rebooted as well as disconnected the HDDs power supply and USB cable.
However, if I got to Run and type K: it will open it just fine.
I use it as storage for backing up media and I can back everything up just fine when I select it from my programs 'Copy to' source.

Things to know:
Running Vista
I am the administrator
I have not changed any security settings
I recently had a resycled/autoboot trojan (on this drive) that I removed with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware...I'm not sure if this issue started before or after the removal, but I do know it was working fine when I was first infected with the Trojan (had it for about a week or two)

If the trojan indeed did change the permission how would I go about getting the permissions changed back without formatting the HDD, if possible?

Thanks for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:40 PM

hi,,, has the drive letter changed from last use,,,, on mine its F: ,,, i used Damon tools to load a game, this created 2 more ghost drives, one of these was assigned the letter F: . the next time i turned on my ext hdd it could not open,,, i closed down damon tools and restarted the ext hdd and it opened,,,,, you may not have this but has the drive letter allocated to your ext hdd changed???

if all else fails,,, re format and start again.

Edited by figgis41, 31 October 2008 - 12:41 PM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:44 PM

Nope, it hasn't changed yet...that's the first thing I've thought because on my old computer I had a similar problem as you did : /

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users