Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My local drive C was changed to local drive F after repairing windows

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dipstix6996

Dipstix6996

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:32 PM

I was using western digital lifeguard tool to format a new drive. After it formats it wants to copy the C drive over to the new HDD and I didnt want that so i canceled the file transfers. Well after restarting my computer (with only the original HDD connected) i could not get past the windows loading screen. So I repaired windows using the CD (not recovery console). After that, my original (source) HDD changed from the C drive to the F drive and now i cannot open programs or install/uninstall anything cause it is looking for the C drive. How can I change my drive back to C ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:01 AM

How to change a drive letter

To change an existing drive letter on a drive, on a partition, or on a volume, follow these steps:

1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.

2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.

3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk
Management
in the left pane.

4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter
to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.

5. Click Change.

6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, click the drive letter that you
want to use, and then click OK.

7. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.

The drive letter of the drive, the partition, or the volume that you specified is changed, and the new drive letter appears in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:45 AM

Noticed this as well:

Changing the drive letter of the system volume or the boot volume is not a built-in feature of the Disk Management snap-in

I went through this as well many years ago. My USB cardreader took up C-F and my boot drive became G. I had to unplug my USB drives and repair/reinstall to fix it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,549 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:06 AM

AFAIK, the only way to change the drive letter of the boot partition/drive in XP...is to do a repair install with only the optical drive and the boot drive connected.
If the install CD detects any other partitions on the system, it takes them into account when assigning the drive letter to the boot partition.

But...you can also try this (if you desire to do so). Take note that it is not recommended for changing a system partition/drive letter where that was the letter assigned when the install was done.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223188

I find that a repair install risks a lot less, takes a minimum amount of time and effort...and does the job.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

Louis

#5 Dipstix6996

Dipstix6996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for all the great info guys. I got just about everything back to normal. The only thing is now my external HDD does not show up in my computer. (It shows up in device management but not under disk management under computer management). Any ideas?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:25 PM

Try removing the USB host controllers in Device Manager and then reboot the computer and lrt Windows reinstaller them
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Dipstix6996

Dipstix6996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:35 PM

I guess while working on the issues in my first post I must have forgot to unplug the external HDD and it got wiped clean. data, partitions..everything. If I re-partition it can i use any kind of data recovery tools?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,549 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:48 PM

Well...what makes you say that?

If your external drive is assigned a drive letter which is also assigned to a drive currently on the system...one of them cannot be seen in My Computer and/or Disk Management.

I would try the external drive on any other system...to see if it can be seen properly. If it can, then I would look at the drive letter assigned...see if I have another partition with that letter...and go back to Disk Management and change drive letters for a couple of partitions.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-t...-or-hard-drive/

Louis

#9 Dipstix6996

Dipstix6996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:07 PM

I tried it on another XP system in the house and it can not be seen in my computer

The only thing is now my external HDD does not show up in my computer. (It shows up in device management but not under disk management under computer management). Any ideas?

I didnt scroll down enough while in disk management. I did find my external HDD while in disk management and it shows (disk 2 is the external HDD)

Posted Image

Thats why i think everything got wiped

Edited by Dipstix6996, 06 November 2008 - 02:09 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,549 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:19 PM

OK...it's impossible to misinterpret "unallocated space".

As for your query re data recovery software...I've only had limited experience with such. I was successful in recovering data which I had foolishly formatted over and the program I used was Data Recovery Tool for Windows XP - http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

The money I spent on this program was well worth it to me (just a gamble) and I was rewarded with success. That was probably 4 years ago now and I only have that one incident to go on.

There are a ton of data recovery programs out there...some free...that other members/visitors swear by, so don't interpret my statements as any sort of recommendation/preference.

Louis

#11 Dipstix6996

Dipstix6996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:22 PM

OK...it's impossible to misinterpret "unallocated space".

As for your query re data recovery software...I've only had limited experience with such. I was successful in recovering data which I had foolishly formatted over and the program I used was Data Recovery Tool for Windows XP - http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

The money I spent on this program was well worth it to me (just a gamble) and I was rewarded with success. That was probably 4 years ago now and I only have that one incident to go on.

There are a ton of data recovery programs out there...some free...that other members/visitors swear by, so don't interpret my statements as any sort of recommendation/preference.

Louis

Thanks for the advice, i'll look into it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users