Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

avgui.exe missing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Deeppurp

Deeppurp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

I've searched it up and found nothing (only topics with avgui.exe in the log) and I've done a complete reinstall, clean and all (avg8.0 hasnt been uninstalling itself 100%, had to go safe mode > uninstall for the 100% clean install after reboot, then ran ad-aware) and it just went missing again today. It never seems to happen when I'm active on my PC(I'm either at work, sleeping or just not on my PC when it decides to go missing, and I have searched for it), and I always get the most recent updates after the reinstalls.

I was wondering if anyone has some information about this.

I am running on Vista 32bit(haven't gone to sp1 yet, don't want to format for a clean install at the moment).

Edit: side note, does AVG also affect connections in games such as steam and Wow (ports are open) and if yes, is there a way to stop it from doing so.

Edited by garmanma, 31 October 2008 - 03:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

Is agui.exe correct spelling?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Deeppurp

Deeppurp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:53 PM

Meant avgui.exe sorry, yet another forum where I cant change the threads title. :thumbsup:

Edited by garmanma, 31 October 2008 - 03:41 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:58 PM

AVG does have a removal tool, but it doesn't specify it it's for the paid or free version. Don't know if that makes a difference.
http://www.avg.com/download-tools
You could uninstall one more time, the download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Tick the box by anything that refers to AVG and run it

Edited by garmanma, 31 October 2008 - 04:00 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Deeppurp

Deeppurp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:39 PM

Not sure if something is getting lost in translation, I'm trying to keep AVG installed but after installation and updating somehow AVGUI.exe gets deleted/removed from my pc. Wasn't uninstalling for the fresh install cause I had firefox open.

Actually on both ends, does the installer cleanup remove the item completely, or does it just clean up an installation?

Edited by Deeppurp, 01 November 2008 - 09:42 PM.

#6 Deeppurp

Deeppurp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:05 PM

I hate to double post, I just wanted to know if anyones had the same ordeal.

Also its no tjust the exe its missing, Half of the items in the AVG folder seem to get missing/get deleted aswell for no aparent reason.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:28 PM

I would recommend uninstalling AVG then start over with a fresh install
Mark
Posted Image

#8 Deeppurp

Deeppurp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:48 PM

I've done that multiple times, it's still doing it.

#9 eros77

eros77

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

Not sure if something is getting lost in translation, I'm trying to keep AVG installed but after installation and updating somehow AVGUI.exe gets deleted/removed from my pc. Wasn't uninstalling for the fresh install cause I had firefox open.

Actually on both ends, does the installer cleanup remove the item completely, or does it just clean up an installation?

Hi !
I have the same trouble !
avgui.exe is missing and it's the same for application.ini, for Firefox and dpl100.dll for DivX Converter.
And Catalyst Control Center too...

Help will be very welcome...

Christophe

Edited by eros77, 01 December 2008 - 03:48 PM.

#10 Jaybleeping

Jaybleeping

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

Hi there,

I have also been suffering through the same issues. AVG, after a number of re-installs, seems to 'go missing'. I have also suffered from other DLL's 'escaping' my system like the dpl100.dll and just recently Roxio complained about corrupt files and missing dll's.

I have recently removed SonicStage software (WMP was having trouble playing avi's and was searching for OpenMG which had something to do with Sony's Sonic Stage software). Not sure if this was a related issue or the cause of it all.

Help from anyone woul be appreicated (feel's like i have been installing software for the past two days only to have it have some key components go missing)!

j

#11 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:52 PM

Could this be caused by malware?

Maybe one of you should post a HJT log in the HijackThis help forum.
James

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

If file extensions are being relocated, yes it can be a sign of infection
I would first post in the Am I Infected forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
before going through the Hijack This process
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users