Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow shutdown

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AZ Geezer

AZ Geezer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:03 PM

Frequently my computer takes a very long time to 'shutdown'. I am running XP Home with Sp2, AMD 2gig processor & Zone Alarm Anti Vurus. The display shows "settings are being saved" and then hangs permanantly so that I have to hold the power switch in to shut it down. While the "hang" condition prevails, the drive activity light is flashing as though the final writes are taking place. However the unit does not turn off at this point untill the power switch is held. Usually the system acts normally during a shutdown request. I run several scans and registry scans each week .
Thanks for any info that you all may have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:39 PM

From www.aumha.org:

SHUTDOWN HANGS ON “SAVING YOUR SETTINGS”During shutdown or reboot, Win XP may hang (stop responding) at the “saving your settings” screen. During such a hang, there is no response to Ctrl+Alt+Del; the mouse may or may not work. The problem may be intermittent.

This is a known bug in Windows XP, for which Microsoft has a supported fix. To learn how to get this patch, see MSKB 307274, “Windows XP Stops Responding (Hangs) During Windows Shutdown.” The necessary patch is included in Windows XP Service Pack 1, and also is now available on the Windows Update site under “Recommended Updates” for Win XP Professional, titled “Restarting Windows XP.” However, to find it, you may need to reconfigure how Windows Update appears for you, by enabling the Windows Update Catalog as follows: At the Windows Update page, click Personalize Windows Update at the left, and then Enable the Windows Update Catalog. Save your settings. This adds the Windows Update Catalog link in the left box. Click this link, then click Find updates for Microsoft Windows systems. Pick Windows XP in the drop-down list, click Search, take Recommended Updates, and find the “Restarting Windows XP” patch which references Q307274.

As a workaround, newsgroup correspondent “lou” resolved this problem by dismantling the Windows XP logon Welcome screen. In the Control Panel, click User Accounts, then click “Change the way users log on or off.” Uncheck the box that says “Use the Welcome screen.” This removes the initial logon screen with individual icons for each user and, instead, pops up the classic logon prompt that requires each user to type a user name and password.

Louis

#3 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:41 PM

I would try turning off the anti-virus and see how it shuts down. If that doesn't seem to
have any effect you can try this tweaker http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-...DH-TuneXP.shtml

Select the super fast shutdown option .. or you can edit the Registry yourself to set
the amount of seconds to wait for shutdown(which is all that TuneXP does)

http://maaruthi.wordpress.com/2008/09/30/s...-windows-vista/

Or you can install NirCmd.exe freeware and use the "exitwin" command with "shutdown" and "forecifhung"
options.

Generally I find that resident anti-virus software gums up the system. I do scans but for run-time protection I use Sandboxie. Instead of keeping a database to say which software is bad and which
is good it simply redirects HD access to a sandbox folder. Much simpler design.
http://www.sandboxie.com/

The paid version has a few extra bells and whistles that are convenient if you can spare the bucks but the free one works too.

First thing to check if the system doesn't work normally is software that's supposed to "protect" the
system. By definition it interferes. Then once you isolate it you can figure out how to protect your
system with it working. :thumbsup:

Edited by MilesAhead, 30 October 2008 - 09:47 PM.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#4 AZ Geezer

AZ Geezer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the info, I did kill the splash as you suggested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users