Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow transfer to external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spyce

spyce

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:44 PM

I swear, there is just no end to all my problems. In fact, I'm having so many of them, I decided it best to just go ahead and reformat/re-install my OS (it was suggested after I got rid of some nasty malware).

Well, I'm sitting here now and I'm trying to back up all my files to my external drive before re-installing my OS... but it's taking forever! To transfer 1.57GB, it says it will take about 20-30 minutes (it fluctuates), and currently the transfer rate is only running around 600 bytes/sec (got 20 hours to spare to wait for 2 files to move?)... now it's up to 1.7mb/sec... now it's about 2.3mb.. the problem is, it fluctuates alot.. it doesn't often keep steady at one speed- when it finally does keep steady, it's really slow, like 600 bytes.

transferring 1.5 gb should only take 2 minutes, max.. why is it taking so long?

Some info:
External: Westernal Digital Office... 1tb capacity
Connected: via USB... I'm assuming it's 2.0 because my machine isn't eve a year old, so I doubt there's ancient technology in it.
Platform: Vista Home Premium, SP1

Edited by spyce, 30 October 2008 - 08:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:41 PM

How much RAM do you have installed?

Have you considered transferring files to another form of media like CDs or DVDs?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

From what I've seen (or paid attention to), transfer speed between drives varies a bit.

Thing which can impact such include other tasks running on the system, whether the drive is SATA or PATA, whether it's connected directly or via USB, whether the files need to be defragged.

And I don't believe files transfer at a constant rate...in my experience, the total estimated time at the beginning tends to be longer than the actual transfer time.

My guess would be that the files/partition where the files being transferred exist...needs defragging. That's just a guess.

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:52 PM

Defragging use to be very important on the smaller hdds in order to keep up speed, but with the larger ones now days it's not as important.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 spyce

spyce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:49 PM

Yeah, I saw that suggestion on another forum.. but I can't moves these files anywhere else... they're currently using up 600+ gb on my external drive; my pc only holds about 400gb (363 technically); but then I have programs installed and such so it tends to be much less... only about 200-250 gb. certainly not enough to be able to move my files so I can reformat my external.

And as for putting my files on another media, like CD, it can work for some files, but not all- I have a lot of files that are over 4 gb (recorded tv shows, movies, etc.)

oh, and i have 2gb of ram.

Edited by spyce, 30 October 2008 - 10:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users