Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regarding Important Announcement

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

Concerning The Important Announcement, i.e., ;

All users MUST install their Windows Updates
today. If you do not have Automatic Updates enabled, then please
follow the instructions in this tutorial in order to do so.

Was there any special reason that this message did not refer to the specific update, i.e.,;

Security Update for Windows XP (KB921883)

I still don't have this I realize I was suppose to go and D/L it manually, but I have recently,
been patching together one good PC, from two machines and without an installation disc, it wasn't a happy affair, but with the help of some good guys here at BC, I am on the recovery road.

So, after riding out a flurry of Trojan horses and Malwares, I sometime get the feeling someone out there doesn't like me.
I know I have some potential malicious competitors, because, in the past years, I was involved in design work, and although I am, "broke as a stone", the field I was in, (Helicopter SAR-Equipment), is a big money ticket for gov contractors, who have an expressed talent for,
"pulling the rug out from under you".

That and the skimpies that don't want little guys to become big designers, and the mobsters who get twisted up in gov. contracting, are always on my mind, so now I have a fire wall that works, and when I get some money I am going to get a Hardware Firewall, and some other good stuff.

"The worlds of Art and Design have a place for some of the wealthiest and the most unscrupulous evils known to man!" . . . .Quote by Jove, . . in accordance with the opinions of, "Ernest Hemmingway".

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:17 PM

Concerning The Important Announcement, i.e., ;

All users MUST install their Windows Updates
today. If you do not have Automatic Updates enabled, then please
follow the instructions in this tutorial in order to do so.

Was there any special reason that this message did not refer to the specific update, i.e.,;

Security Update for Windows XP (KB921883)

Yes, Jove. Each different operating system had a different serial number for the patch. Well, the XP one is definitely different from my Vista patch number.

Btw, go and download the patch now and then set your PC for auto-updates. Have you thought that the reason you get so much malware may be due to you saying things like this:

I still don't have this I realize I was suppose to go and D/L it manually,

:thumbsup:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:44 PM

Not really, I like the idea that I am logical and not paranoid.

But thanks, I already have my Auto Updates on, I'll go there and D/L manually.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:42 PM

Just kidding, . . .
I really will pay more attention to the updates, . . in the past, I felt that these were things in general that would clutter up my system, while actually, it was being cluttered with all the clutter blowing around in cyberspace, . . .

however, . . I still would like to know, if this was such an important update, why has it not reached me by now, . . I just downloaded it and it is installed, but when I arrived at Windows updates, I went to custom to see the choices picked out for my computer there were two SP3 and another
3.01 an update that assist downloads and installations, but no, (Security Update for Windows XP (KB921883) ) ??

So, is there a problem with Windows updating or am I not understanding something ?

Edited by Jove, 30 October 2008 - 10:53 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:39 AM

Even important updates need to have permission to be installed on your PC. Auto-update allows Microsoft to bypass this.

In your case, Jove, it can't be installed unless you already had the auto-update enabled. If you didn't then, as you did, you had to download it manually.

As for their home page, I can't vouch for Microsoft but it seems that their system detection was on the blink as it should have read your updates situation and offered you the patch. It isn't a foolproof detection system - there isn't one. This is why it's useful to check in with Bleeping Computer who fill the gap.. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for your reply, mOle

OK, I understand, but at the time I did have my auto receive updates turned on, I even used Update Checker, but had no notification. So, I guess if I need to rely on BC, for important updates, . . I am going to need to keep my eyes open!

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

You can check in here regularly too, Jove.

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/i...showtopic=16431
Posted Image

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:45 PM

You can also subscribe to Microsoft's different security E-mail updates (one for general users and one for more technically minded people) or CERT's E-mail advisories. All of these will keep you informed about any patches issued.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:07 PM

Much Thanks Everyone, . . All's Well That Ends Well.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users