Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Vista Updated and now ERRORS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Frank Vasquez

Frank Vasquez

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:29 PM

I came home from a business trip, and Vista had updated and restarted - now I get things like "Superfetch has stopped working" and other such errors. Reboots out of the blue as well.

Here are the details of one:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: svchost.exe_SysMain
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47919291
Fault Module Name: sysmain.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791adbd
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000000181db
OS Version: 6.0.6001.
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: b691
Additional Information 2: 568b44688cc778529db8eca4d9b2f849
Additional Information 3: 2c7f
Additional Information 4: dd5220830626d03b0020484f8b9ec442

Vista Ultimate 64-Bit

Edited by Frank Vasquez, 30 October 2008 - 07:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

Hi, go to system restore and restore from before the updates were installed.

#3 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,085 posts
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:10 AM

sysmain.dll can either be malware or your Superfetch service.
Try a couple of these free, online scanners to see if anything has slipped by your protection:
(Be advised that some of these scanners will pickup things in "quarantine" from other anti-virus programs - so review the results carefully)

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner Scan Only - no removal

If you find that you're infected (or the scan doesn't complete or closes unexpectedly), post in the Am I Infected forum located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
If you're not infected, post back here and we'll try some more stuff.

If not infected, post back and we'll have a go at disabling the Superfetch service temporarily.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users