Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vi3tx13oy

vi3tx13oy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:07 PM

Ok, so I have upgraded my Acer T180 in the past 3 years. And I have upgraded it pretty well.

Acer T180 at stock:
- AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.21GHz
- 514mb Ram
- Inetergrated Graphics Geforce 6100 nforce 410
- 250w PSU
- 160gb HDD

Current Acer T180
- AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.21GHz
- 3gb 667MHz Ram
- XFX Geeforece 8600GT
- Thermaltake 430w PSU
- 160gb HDD

I will most likely add another internal hard drive so that won't be a problem. I would also buy a mid-tower case and replace the Acer one. About the CPU, I don't know the downsides of upgrding a CPU but I would love to get rid of this crappy one I'm using right now and switch to an Athlon x2. My mobo socket is AM2. If I decide to upgrade it what do I have to do in the BIOS to activate it? Or does it detect itself. And is there any negative part about upgrading a CPU?

Thanks,
Mike

Edited by vi3tx13oy, 30 October 2008 - 05:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

The only considerations that I know of for a CPU change are:

a. Proper CPU for motherboard socket.

b. Don't bend any pins installing the processor.

c. Apply thermal paste between heatsink and CPU.

d. Don't stress the motherboard excessively...when trying to attach heatsink/fan.

Everything else is automatic, I think.

Louis

#3 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:47 PM

Do you know what X2 Cpu you can upgrade to??

IF not open the side of you case and post the model number of the motherboard on here. Its usually the big white numbers or letters on it. That way we can see what it can support because just because it supports X2 AMD's doent mean it supports all. It depends on the board and bios.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#4 vi3tx13oy

vi3tx13oy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:27 PM

My Mobo is MCP61SM-AM if it helps

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:46 PM

That motherboard is a socket 940 and will support AMD Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core and Sempron processors.

http://support.packardbell.com/gr/item/ind..._amadeus_istart

Edited by dc3, 30 October 2008 - 11:44 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:31 PM

Installing a Socket AM2 sould be straightforward. Remember, that there is also a Socket 940 spec that is not compatible with AM2. Also, some mobo's might require the BIOS to be updated before they can use some of the newer processors. I don't believe you will have to do this though.

3939.png

#7 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:29 PM

Looking for a processor support list and didnt come across anything untill i found this thread. According to this thread it wont support anything over the 5XXX series Amd X2

Motherboard thread

The only thing that sucks is that you dont know for sure exactly what AMD X2's are supported. It is a foxconn motherboard and there is no information on there website about it.

Best thing you can do is what the guy did in the thread above or try a higher series and see if it posts. If not return it to newegg and get a lower series.

Kind of weird though cuz even on my old compaq i was able to see what P4's were supported so its kind of a guessing game when your not able to get that info. You can also search yahoo and google with your motherboard model number and see if any one was able to get some of the highest X2's processors to post.

Edited by Lucky23, 30 October 2008 - 11:30 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:38 AM

Well...we know that it supports AM2 boards...and I don't think you read the last comment of that link you posted. The guy who made the claim that it did not support anything above the 5000s...seems to have been mistaken.

I believe it supports all X2s, otherwise there would be a disclaimer about some X2 processors not being supported for some AM2 boards.

Remember that the Web is a great place for information...and misinformation :thumbsup:. Opinions (including mine) don't necessarily correlate to facts often.

I did a fair bit of research on AM2 boards before I bought mine and I never came across anything indicating that any of the X2 processors would not work with those boards.

Related reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM3

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users