Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with Network setup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:15 PM

Hello
I've wanted to set my computers up on a network but never understood how. I've tried and am unable to get it done. Here is what I have:
My desktop is a Dell running Vista that is hardwired to my modem. I've right clicked music, pictures, and documents, and changed them to "share". I've also enabled all of the sharing items in the Network Center. I use Zone Alarm firewall and I'm not sure if I've configured it correctly to allow access. I added the IP address of the laptop, but when I mess with the laptops network center, Zone Alarm shows up on the Dell as a blocked attempt to access. The laptop does not show up when I go to the Network Center and click on show other computers.
My laptop is an HP running Vista that uses a wireless connection to the same modem above. I've also shared music, pictures, and documents and enabled all sharing in the NC. Same thing with Zone Alarm, with it showing blocked attempts. The difference is that Home PC does show up in the network center. It shows "Home PC- media devices". If I click on that, Media Player pops up but its the music that is on the laptop, not the desktop.
So I guess what I'm asking is for someone to help me just start over with the whole set up.
Also, I've noticed on the laptop that there are about 10 networks that I can pick to use on my laptop. Some are peoples names. Should I be worried about someone being able to connect to my network?
Thanks
Dylan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:10 AM

Hi

Disable your Zone alarm once and check the network if you can find the computers.

Check this link for wired computers.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3351220

There isnt much difference as you said your laptop connected to same modem or router.

Sreez

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users