Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System will not load my DVD writer drivers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nivekk59

nivekk59

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:09 PM

My DVD writer stopped working today. I tried loading new drivers to no avail. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and upon re-install I got an error message that the drivers would not load.

I went to Control Panel/Device Manger/ and tried to update the drivers and got a message back that the driver was up to date.

When I go into my BIOs/Standard CMOS Features, it lists the device. I tried switching SATA port to no avail. It sees it in a different spot but it still does not work.

I checked all of my BIOS settings and they are all the defaults that I have been using.

I thought it might be the DVR itself so I went out and picked up a new one ( I only have one machine so I can't troubleshoot by swapping components) and the new one does not work either.

Probably unrelated is the fact that my hard drive fried a few days ago. I tried everything to get it back but ultimately had to replace it.

I am beginning to think I am having motherboard problems.

A few specs:

Gigabyte GA EP45 DS3L Motherboard

Intel Quad core Q6600. 2.4

Memory OCZ DDR2 2x2G

LightScribe 22x DVD±RW Burner with Dual/Double Layer Support OEM which is basically a Samsung SH S233Q

OS Vista 64

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:52 PM

Give this a look. It's the same for any version of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 nivekk59

nivekk59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for the link G, but those are not the error codes I am getting.

I just tried disconnecting the HD and booting the computer. Wasn't I surprised when the system found the DVD!

It is looking more and more like the MB.

K

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:50 PM

Does your CD/DVD show uo in My Computer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:00 PM

Hmmm...combine this with your post about hard drives reflected in the BIOS...and I'd suspect the motherboard a bit.

But first I would replace the CMOS battery (it can make the system behave weirdly), just to rule it out.

I find it hard to believe/accept the premise that a system can develop a number of different symptoms because of such things (CMOS battery, RAM, motherboard, PS), but it's all too true.

I try to eliminate the cheap but necessary stuff first :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 nivekk59

nivekk59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:59 PM

I crossed the CMOS reset jumpers and the DVD is still not found. I assume that would have the same effect as removing the batteries.

I have also swapped out the cables and switched the SATA ports, all to no avail.

Thanks for sticking with me Louis.

G, the DVD does not show up on My Computer. It only shows up on the CMOS settings page of the BIOS.

Failing other ideas, I am going to pick up a new MB tomorrow morning and install it. I am still in the 30 day window of my build, so there will be no questions.

k

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

The problem with shorting the CMOS jumpers...it doesn't do anything to change the fact that the $3 battery might be failing, causing all sorts of strange happenings (it does on my systems). Shorting the CMOS jumper is good for resetting the BIOS, but it won't normally compensate for a potentially fading battery.

Which is why I now replace them when it appears that it might be causing problems.

Louis

#8 nivekk59

nivekk59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:46 PM

I replaced the MB and the problem persists.

In device manager/properties I get error code 39. I searched this and found a reference to S.M.A.R.T. memory technology. This reminded me that I had enabled something like this in my BIOS about the time the problem started. I disabled it and un-installed/re-installed but no luck.

????????????

K

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:12 PM

SMART is a hard drive early warning system, its reliability is debated by some...but, in my world, I enable it.

If you are getting SMART warnings, you probably ought to download a diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive and run the long test.

However...error code 39 seems to be concerned with optical drives, not hard drives, http://www.pchell.com/hardware/cd_drive_error_code_39.shtml

Well, you've eliminated one would-be suspect...there's still RAM, power supply and CPU.

If you did not replace that CMOS battery, please do so at once. I know that a new motherboard should come with a new battery...often things don't happen as they should in life.

If I repeat myself, it's only because I've lost track of what you've already done to try to make this system work.

Louis

#10 nivekk59

nivekk59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the link to the error 39 fix. It was a problem with the registry. I went through the procedure outlined in the link and it solved my problem!

Thanks for helping me out Louis, you're the best!

I guess Garmanma deserves some kudos too, his earlier link, while referencing different error codes, correctly identified the problem as being with the registry.

This site is the best!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:51 PM

LOL...yes, I guess that Garmanma deserves at least as much credit as I do, darn it :thumbsup:.

You deserve some credit also for being willing to listen and follow instructions, happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users