Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sign-in to Windows Live Messenger causes slow freeze of Windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alais

Alais

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:35 PM

Hi,

As of yesterday, when I sign in to Windows Live Messenger, a few seconds later Messenger will stop responding. This sometimes happens before the sign-in process is complete, and sometimes several seconds after. Shortly after this, Windows Explorer stops (the Task Bar, Start Menu and any window involving file browsing/ file tree such as "Open" dialogue boxes), then any other programs which are open also stop. It's not a screen freeze, since the mouse and basic keyboard commands still work to some extent - Alt-Tab brings up the switch program box, repeating left-shift for StickyKeys makes the StickyKeys sound, though Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing. I searched for a considerable period of time both on these forums and on others but with no luck. Has anyone seen something similar?

It may be completely unrelated, but today for about 10mins any attempt to access BleepingComputer would replace the "bleepingcomputer" section of the URL with "google" bringing up either Google's homepage or an internal Google error since rest of the URL belonging to a BleepingComputer site made no sense stuck after "google.com/". This seemed to fix itself after I tried to get to BleepingComputer via a proxy (though this may have been coincidence). I would post this separately but I'm not really interested in this oddity if it doesn't relate to my first problem.

I have tried running SpyBot and AdAware but they only turned up tracking cookies. I also had an uninformed look at a HJT log and didn't see anything exciting.

Alais

Edited by Alais, 30 October 2008 - 12:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:07 PM

hi,,, when this happens open task manager,,, right click on an empty space on the task bar,,, open task manager and click on the processes tab and look to see how much processor is being used,,, then look in the process tree to see how much live messenger is using,,,, this was happening on my auntie's pc,,, live messenger was using 100% cpu,,, when i clicked on it and ended the process, cpu usage dropped to normal,,,, i then uninstalled live messenger and re installed, everything was ok after this.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 Alais

Alais
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:37 PM

Hey figgis,

Thanks for replying, I tried watching the CPU usage on task manager but it showed normal levels all the way until that window froze :/ Reinstalling messenger has no effect either, sadly.

#4 Alais

Alais
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:08 PM

Found the problem. It's to do with the shared folder service provided by messenger. Disable the service in Services - more details here:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en...5-70da8d2c86e8/

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for letting us know the solution you found. This'll help others who come searching for assistance with this sort of problem!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users