Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access website

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 spyce

spyce

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:22 AM

Since you guys were so helpful to me before, I figured I'd come back :flowers:

I have a website I'm not able to access here on my home network: http://www.fileshunt.com (it's a rapidshare search engine). And it's virtually the *only* website I can't access- I know it's there, because I can get to it just fine whenever I'm at school, but here at home it sits for a couple minutes trying to load then I get "Network Connection Timed Out".

Any idea why this is happening? I've added the site to my trusted zone, that didn't work. I tried loading some .dll file- a suggestion I found on a different forum- that didn't work either. I'm irritated because I use this site on almost a daily basis- yes, I'm addicted to RS :thumbsup: I just don't know why it won't work. I've called my cable internet provider, and they've been no help whatsoever.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Oh, and just some notes that might help you out:
I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, SP1
AMD Athelon Dual Core Processor, 2.6 gHz
I access the internet with Firefox & IE... though mostly Firefox (3.1b1)

Edited by spyce, 30 October 2008 - 10:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:03 AM

It's probably blocked by the school.

#3 spyce

spyce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:10 PM

You didn't listen to what I said.. I can access the site just fine on campus, but when I come back to my own apartment and try to access the site, I can't do it. And just to clarify, I live off campus... 15 minutes away- so I'm not using their internet connection in any form. I have my own ISP who I've tried dealing with, and they are of no help.

Edited by spyce, 30 October 2008 - 12:12 PM.

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

Hi Spyce,

Sounds like an interesting problem.

So you have two browsers, does this happen with both Firefox and IE?

That would mean that both browsers have the same setting that's wrong. Or it's a security issue with your Windows settings.

it's virtually the *only* website I can't access

Virtually? Which others can't you access, if any?
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#5 spyce

spyce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:53 PM

I do use both browsers.. and you're right, I can't access this site on either of them.

As far as being the only website I can't access, it's the only one I know of for right now. I haven't come across any others that I have this problem with, yet.

#6 spyce

spyce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:05 PM

Any ideas?

Just figured I'd update:
I've reformatted/re-installed my OS since originally posting this topic, and I still can't access that particular website. It's the only one I have this problem with. When I try to go, it takes roughly 60+ seconds to load, then I get the following error:

Connection Interrupted

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

I'm on Firefox 3.0.3

Edited by spyce, 06 November 2008 - 01:08 PM.

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

Sounds like a firewall problem. If your security settings are too high then sites like Rapidshare can't be accesed. P2P sites aren't surf-safe so firewalls tend to block them at medium or high settings.
Posted Image

#8 spyce

spyce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

Ok.. well, I don't have windows Firewall enabled- all I use is AVG Pro/8.0; How would I go about adding website exceptions to it?

#9 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:09 PM

I have AVG free but this is from their FAQ

While browsing web, you may receive a warning from AVG Search-Shield. This component is scanning the websites you are searching for, and provide protection against threats within malicious or hacked websites.

If you have installed AVG Toolbar, you can control this component directly from your Internet browser using the button Search-Shield. Disabling this button will stop scanning of the search results in Google, MSN and Yahoo!, and also the scanning of Internet addresses (URL's) you enter into the web browser (either manually, or by clicking on a link on any website, in an e-mail, etc.).

In case you are not using the AVG Toolbar, you can disable the AVG Search-Shield in AVG User Interface - double-click on the LinkScanner component - un-tick the option "Enable AVG Search-Shield".

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 spyce

spyce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:15 PM

It didn't do anything; I still have no access.

#11 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:33 PM

Maybe it isn't AVG that's blocking it. It may be a browser problem.

if the site requires cookies or some level of access your browsers doesn't provide - which may well be true on this type of site - you can add them to the trusted sites list. In IE you go to Tools>Internet Options>Security tab. Click the Trusted Sites button at the top and then click the Sites button. Add your web site to the list. You'll have to uncheck/tick the "require server..." line.

In FF you go to Tools > Options and click the Privacy tab. Click Cookies and then click the Exceptions button and type in the URL and click the Allow button.

Let's see if that sorts it
Posted Image

#12 spyce

spyce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

Nope... I got nothing. I added the site to both my trusted sites and under the cookies exceptions in FF. Nothing happened in either browser, even with restart.

Gah, I don't understand this. Sorry, it's not so much about the site anymore- I'm kinda irked that something is up and I dunno how to fix it.

#13 jasonpc

jasonpc

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

Hi,

You say that you can not access the site, do you mean the entire site including the home page or specific pages within the site.
If you can not access specific pages please provide these links.

Also can you please try to view a 5 or 6 minute video on www.youtube.com and say if you are able to view the entire video or not. this will may help us to find out if maybe your internet connection is being cut via your provider or if the problem is with your computer.

Jason

Edited by jasonpc, 08 November 2008 - 06:11 PM.

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:43 PM

Is the URL in your hosts file? Is 69.31.86.66 blocked by your hosts file?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#15 spyce

spyce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:22 AM

I have no issues accessing youtube- in fact I'm there on just about a daily basis.
As for my hosts file.. I didn't see that address in there- this is all that it said:

# Copyright © 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

And, no, I cannot access any part of the site. When I type in http://www.fileshunt.com and hit enter, my computer thinks for a minute, then I get the time out message. I don't know if I can access other parts of the site, because I can't even get on the font page to do any searches. So I would have to go ahead and assume no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users