Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

StopZilla

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 idc

idc

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:08 AM

I've recently brought my PC back to health from an attack of AntispywareXP 2009; thank you Budapest. A friend of mine heard of my troubles and bought me a license version of Stopzilla and downloaded the program to my PC. I currently have the StopZilla spyware, pop up, and siteguard protection program. It also has the capability to scan and remove treats from my system. Overall, it looks and performs fairly well and I haven't noticed any slowing of my PC's performance. It boots up on the quick launch bar when you log in just like SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot. It also appears to be working similiar to the Spybot Teatimer.

Other than my experience using this program over the last couple of days, I know little to nothing about StopZilla. My friend swears by it and uses it and recommends it for commercial use. I was hoping to hear about others experiences and learn more about this program's reputation. I don't know if it is worth keeping or not. I traditionally run Norton, Spybot, SuperAntiSpyware, and Spyware Blaster on my PC and have used Ad Aware and A2 Free as scanners.

After my recent attack, which by the way penetrated, disabled, and corrupted all my security programs, I've reinstalled Norton, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, SuperAntiSpyware, and installed Malwarebytes. This is all in addition to Stopzilla. All these programs appear to be coexisting well and my PC is running fine.

All comments, thoughts, or opinions are welcomed concerning personal experience or other information on StopZilla.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Edited by idc, 30 October 2008 - 10:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:27 AM

Hi idc,

Just my opinion this.

StopZilla is okay. I know programmer friends who use it and as far as I'm aware it doesn't flag anywhere as malware but you already have three antispyware progs and Norton and although there may be no visible compatibility issues you don't need it. Two antiviruses are not ideal as they can slow down your PC as they both fight to scan files and the presence of another AV will also add unnecessary stress on your CPU.

Stick with what you've got and make sure you regularly update. Updating is what it's about really - your paid-for progs allow auto-updating and that's what you're paying for.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 idc

idc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:56 AM

Great feedback, it is very much appreciated. :thumbsup: