Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not access my C drive any more... please help.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:01 AM

Here's what happened:

I updated some type of flashviewer (don't remember the exact name) and it installed a nasty virus. It has now locked up my hard drive in a sense where I can not open C: drive in My Computer; it says "C:\ is not accessible. Access is denied" I tried many things and I get errors saying I need to sign in Administrator mode; I tried but it wants a password which we don't know what it is if there is one. I'm not able to do a system restore; won't let me.

We brought in our company IT guy and he can't figure out either how to open the C drive. He said I have to format my hard drive and re-install everything which I don't have a problem doing. I cannot even transfer the files I want to my external drive for backup but I am able to compress them with winrar and then can upload them to my online hard drive for temp storage. So I backed up most of what I want except for all my e-mails because I can't open incredimail; doesn't work anymore.

I can't even install software to try to fix this. I tried Smithfraud but it doesn't do much because to the same reason "you need to sign in Administrator mode"

Question to you guys is that is there anyway last attempt to possibly fix this without reformatting the hard drive?

Thanks in advance.
Clydesdale™

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

It sounds as if your account got turned into a Limited account and the permissions on the hard drive were changed so you can't access them. Can you verify that your account is set to limited from Control Panel > User Accounts?

If you reboot into safe mode (F8 as the computer is booting, select safe mode from the choices), you may be able to sign in to the default Administrator account and change yourself into an admin.
Posted Image

#3 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:25 PM

It sounds as if your account got turned into a Limited account and the permissions on the hard drive were changed so you can't access them. Can you verify that your account is set to limited from Control Panel > User Accounts?

You are correct there.... right on the money!

If you reboot into safe mode (F8 as the computer is booting, select safe mode from the choices), you may be able to sign in to the default Administrator account and change yourself into an admin.

No luck; tried that and many other ways.

Can the hard drive be restored some how with the Bootable CD? If not,I will just reformat the hard drive tomorrow and start over.
Clydesdale™

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:11 PM

Download Trinity Rescue Kit (stable 3.2):
http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?wpid=1&front_id=12
Burn the image to a CD. Boot the PC from the TRK CD.
Reset Admin password, run virus scan, run rootkit scan.
Shutdown and remove the CD. Reboot in Safe Mode and you
should be able to log in.
Hope that helps.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:28 PM

Download Trinity Rescue Kit (stable 3.2):
http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?wpid=1&front_id=12
Burn the image to a CD. Boot the PC from the TRK CD.
Reset Admin password, run virus scan, run rootkit scan.
Shutdown and remove the CD. Reboot in Safe Mode and you
should be able to log in.
Hope that helps.

I will pass this over to our IT guy and let you know what happens. Thanks you.
Clydesdale™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users