Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rename Administrator Account In XP Home Possible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:45 AM

Hello,

I have trying to improve the security settings on a XP Home SP3 based machine. Reading through a link provided here I see that the Administrator account can be renamed in XP Pro. The instructions do not work for XP Home. Can the Administrator account be renamed with XP Home?
Thanks!

Link: Hardening Windows Security Part 1 and 2

http://www.malwarehelp.org/Malware-Prevent...-Security1.html

Description Provided For XP Pro:
Rename/Password protect the administrator account
An administrator account has the largest amount of default permissions and the ability to change their own permissions. To stop the intruders from accessing your computers and gaining administrative rights from the built-in Administrator account, it is highly recommended to rename the Administrator account
To rename the administrator account in windows XP Pro, follow these steps:
Right click on 'My computer' and click 'Manage', which opens the Microsoft Management console.
Open the Users folder under Local users and groups, right click on 'Administrator' and click Rename and type in your preferred unique name.
Right click on 'Administrator', click properties and edit the description for the account, so as not to reveal its true nature.
To password protect the administrator account, if you have not done it already, or to change the password follow these steps:
Right click on 'My computer' and click 'Manage', which opens the Microsoft Management console.
Open the Users folder under Local users and groups, right click on 'Administrator' and click Set Password.
Click Proceed in the message box that appears.
Type and confirm the new password in the appropriate boxes, and then click OK.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:18 AM

I just found a link which explains how to change the Administrator name in XP version. It worked for me but I cannot vouch for the credibility of this site or the safety of using this procedure as I have never used this site before. I just mirrored my hard drive so I am not too worried. If anybody is interested in trying this please do so at your own risk.

Thanks

http://www.leeindy.com/renadmin.shtml

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:29 AM

Yeah, that method will work fine. You actually have to go through the same procedure if you want to do more advanced user management in Vista Basic and Vista Home Premium as those also lack the Local Users and Groups msc snap-in (Vista Business and Ultimate have them).
Posted Image

#4 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

Thanks arcman!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users