Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting partitions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rookie0014

Rookie0014

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:37 AM

Right now, I am operating XP on my E drive and I have 2000 pro on my C drive. I no longer require 2000 pro. Is there any way I can delete this partition so it just spreads itself to my other 3 drives? It's only a 7 or 8G drive, but I could use it for more than just being there doing nothing.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:18 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

The problem that I see is that your boot.ini file probably lies on your C: partition. The system won't boot without one. I would find out just where the boot.ini file is by taking a look at the existing partitions via Explorer view.

I've never attempted to move the boot.ini file, although I have created a new one (by doing a repair install).

Let's see what others say :flowers:.

FWIW: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/975087.htm AND http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:6kd4Z...;cd=1&gl=us

I also think your situation is further complicated by the fact that you have (seemingly) four partitions on the one drive, with the possibility that some are logical/extended partitions/drives.

If you have software like Partition Magic, I'd know what to tell you.

Louis

#3 Rookie0014

Rookie0014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:35 PM

I had partition magic, but I found it didn't work properly. Kept giving me problems, now this was as couple years back, and I don't remember what the problems were.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:32 AM

I've had PM 8.0 for what seems like decades now...it can present problems to users, but I've only had self-inflicted wounds over the years.

Although the interface indicates that users can do umpteen procedures at a time...I find that it works best if I ask it do do one thing at a time, as opposed to 3 or 4 complicated procedures all at once.

Aside from that, I've really had no problems with it since I first acquired it (when it was a Powerquest product, not Symantec).

Louis

#5 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:52 PM

You might be able to do something like this:

0) Defragment all disks and partitions. This makes editing partitions and saving data a bit easier. If you plan on erasing a partition, you don't need to defragment it though.
1) Make an Acronis True Image Home full backup data image of only your system drive/partition.
2) Store that Acronis data image on some kind of removeable media such as an external hard drive; at least store it on a drive that has enough space that you wont need to erase right away.
3) Make an Acronis boot CD
4) Boot up from the Acronis boot CD and restore the Acronis data image to the C: drive.
5) Boot up from the Windows XP install CD and perform a repair install.
6) Boot up from the C: drive if possible, preferably in safe mode
7) Schedule and run disk fixing and diagnosis programs and check system settings to see if they are correct
8) Reboot again into the hopefully working C: drive and now deal with your remaining partitions/drives as you see fit.

9) If it all fails, boot up from the Acronis Boot CD, and restore the system partition data to it's original drive.

If you've changed around partitions and drives, you may need to erase some partitions or resize them to allow for enough space for the original system partition data to go back to where it used to be. After that, boot from the Windows XP install CD and do a repair install. Then reboot and run disk fixing programs, preferably in safe mode. Reboot again.

I was able to use a scheme somewhat like this on Windows Vista, when I deleted the first partition (recovery partition D:) and made the C: partition the first partition on the hard drive.

Good luck.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:56 PM

Until we can find out what those partitions are I would suggest not deleting any of them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users