Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Device installation Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tranmererovers

tranmererovers

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

A friend asked me to have a look at his computer as it had a suspected virus. To make things easier, I brought the 'box' round to my house so I could work on it at home. When it was at my friends house, he had a usb mouse plugged in and working fine but when I brought it to my house to work on it I have had to revert to using a serial(?) mouse. I have also tried his original usb mouse that was working fine and that no longer works??

The problem is that when I connect either a usb mouse or pen, I get the 'Welcome to found new hardware wizard' and choose the option to install automatically. The screen then looks as if it is copying files before showing a message saying 'cannot install this hardware. An error occured during the installation of the device' and 'The data is invalid'.

So far, I have tried running the system file checker (sfc /scannow) and also have reinstalled the drivers for the motherboard but (obviously) neither of theses have worked.

Someone has suggested it may be an issue with a registry entry?? but I am a bit out of my depth and hoped one of you good people might have a suggestion on what I can look at / try next. Thanks

(PS under guidance on another forum, I have cleared the pc off all viruses and loaded adequate protection software)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:47 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

You may have to uninstall all mouse drivers...and then reboot and allow the new one to "acclimate."

That's what I would do, using How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

At times, a mouse will come with drivers. I normally don't use those, but you may (if it has drivers and XP does not have appropriate drivers in its driver cache).

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000548.htm

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:59 PM

I would look in the BIOS to see if the USB mouse needs to be enabled, if it does I would also replace the CMOS battery as this would indicate that it is failing.

Do you see any errors (red X) under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in the Device Manager?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 tranmererovers

tranmererovers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

Hi and thanks for your responses.

It is not just the mouse though that is giving this error it is usb pens too and I have tried 3 of them that work perfectly well with other computers! The mouse I have tried do not have drivers supplied and install without problem on other XP computers.

There are no errors on the USB controllers.

I have no idea how to look in the bios!

tmr

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:46 PM

If all USB devices have problems...I'd try removing the USB controllers in Device Manager, rebooting, and then allowing them to reinstall.

Info: How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users